• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

soaking hay

vanessa

Warren Scout
I've read on here before about soaking hay to make it easier to eat for bunnies with teeth problems. Do I soak it in hot water or cold water and how long for? Also, are there any particular types of hay that bunnies with teeth problems find easier to eat than others?

My incisor-less buns love the short chopped hays and grasses - you can get chopped timothy hay from www.bunnybasics.net (and timothy hay is great for their molars too)
They also have a cheap petshop meadow hay which they love - it's by Peak and comes loose in bags and when we get a new delivery (I get it from where I work) it looks very fresh and feels very soft. It's very straight strands and they don't find it a problem to pick up
They also get regular timothy hay but I try to mix it half and half so they don't get bored (and to save a bit of money!)
They like the seed hay from chinchillas2shop as well.

Hi Karly,
How did your buns recover after the op on their teeth? I have a mini lop that is 18mths old and he has to have his teeth burred every month. The vet suggested he could have them removed, but I am really unsure what is best. It is really just one that is out of alignment but know it means all four have to be removed. How did he get on immediately after the op. Would love to hear how yours coped. Pam

Mary was probably the worst, but then his teeth are in the worst state. He was needing to be taken to the vet every 7-10 days to have his teeth burred :?
He had to stay in a couple of days as his eye went very weepy and he wasn't eating or pooing. But he has dentals under anaesthetic now for his molars (as he gets spurs on them) and he's home the same day, and usually needs syringe-feeding for a day at the most.
Squishy's weren't severely misaligned, but the bottom incisors were just set infront of the top incisors (instead of the bottom being just slightly behing the top) so there was nothing to wear them down. He was neutered and had them removed and was home and eating the same evening.
Rex sounds most similar to yours. He broke a tooth somehow when he was younger, and when it grew back it was slightly misaligned (he obviously must've banged his mouth or caught the tooth on something to break it and pulled it out of position slightly). As it grew back on a slant, it pushed the incisor next to it that way as well, and then as they didn't line up, his bottom incisors weren't getting worn down either.
After having had the first two's incisors removed I didn't hesitate to have Rex's, as I knew it would never be 'cured' and Rex is very iffy about having anything near his mouth, and doesn't like to be held to have healthchecks much either.
He couldn't come home straight away as he was neutered at the same time (to save having two big ops) and had a bleed from down there (ouch :shock: ) and wasn't eating properly. He needed syringe-feeding for a couple of days when I took him home the next day, and he did seem to get a lot of food stuck in his incisor gaps but I just had to clean it out and it healed fine.
All of them manage fine without their incisors, I just have to spend more money on getting them hay that they like enough to bother to eat :lol: and spend twice as long preparing their veg. But I wouldn't trade them for the world and I do now have a soft spot for incisorless buns!

Hi Karly,
Thanks for replying and giving me lots to think about. Are your boy buns all bonded or do they live separately. My blue mini lop that has the teeth trouble has been neutered over a year now and lives indoors. I have two more mini lops that are 6mths old, a brother and sister and have just had their ops. They are also living indoors together but not with my blue bun. Was wondering once the hormones settle down after the baby buns ops what you reckon the chances are of them bonding with the older boy bun Any ideas ? Pam

My three toothless boys are in together, and I've been considering bonding them with my other two buns (a male and a female) but due to a new development (not telling what it is yet, shh) I will probably have those two as a pair and the toothless ones together.
Male buns are supposed to be more difficult to bond, but it's not impossible (as my trio proves!). You just have to go about it with a bit more care - if mine had shown any signs of not tolerating the other then I wouldn't have carried on with the bonding. However in this case, both sets of bonding (bonding the original two and then bonding the third with them) went very quickly and very well, as you can see:
triosnuggled.jpg

If you do a search for bonding you'll find plenty of helpful information. I bonded my males in the same way you'd bond two females or a male and a female, just with a bit more caution (though to be fair, having no incisors made them a bit more harmless than ordinary buns :lol: )

Hi Karly,
They look so gorgeous together!! I have a blue otter mini lop { the one with the tooth probem} and the baby mini lops are black and white butterfly. They are all really affectionate and friendly as they have been house buns since I got them and are so used to people and dogs now. I will wait until the young ones are settled after their ops and see how the land lies with them. I don't want to do anything that will alter the relationship between the brother and sister as they are so close. Yes I expect it mst be a little easier with no front teeth to worry about when bonding. You really have a lovely bunny family.Thanks for your replies. Pam.

Back