• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What age can bunny's be speyed?

ljs383

Warren Scout
Hi my Molly is nearly 5 mths and I am now going to get her a friend but was advised to get her speyed before I do and was just wondering what age she has to be before she has the op?

Thanks

Lynda

/

Hi some vets will spey at 5 months or even earlier depending on the weight and health of the rabbit.... but most say 6 months.....you would have to contact your vet to check their policy.

Hi Lynda.
I was told my baby buns were both males so I booked them in at 5months to have their ops as I was worried they may fight if I left it too long. I asked the nurse to check them for me before leaving them as I was unable to find one of the buns 'boy bits'. She told me it was a female and said the vet said she could still be done that day. So I guess it depends on the size. Although they are brother and sister, she is qite a lot sturdier than him. This was a month ago and they are fully recovered and enjoying the freedom of the kitchen and dining room. Good luck when you have your bun done.Pam

Our vet will spay from 4 months - in fact she prefers it as the uterus isn't covered in fat at that age and makes the operation so much easier. The younger rabbits seem to come round much quicker too, which is never a bad thing!
I think vets that say wait longer aren't as experienced in rabbits and just don't realise it can be done so young.
There has been talk of early spaying effecting bone development - but this has never been proved and our vet has never seen the effects of this (baring in mind she deals with about one thousand rabbits a year - much more than most vets!)

i think a spay is 5 months and up as some vets dont like to operate any think under that but some vets are diff! gd luck

I don't think it's a case of inexperience - Dana Krempels says 9 months is ideal as by then the skeleton has fully formed - hormones do play a part in bone development.

Back