• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

moving house and taking bunny with

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
i'm not moving just yet, this is more a hypothetical question really, but i know how much tobey loves being at home in his room, when he goes to the vet he always seems so much happier when he gets back home (i'm sure this is nothing unusual though!) i was just wondering how buns are with moving to a new house, and settling in and accepting it as their new home?

W hen I moved to this house I brought my ikkle Crunchie, she was a little frightened in the car but I put her in her new hutch for a couple of days to settle in and she was fine, she came outside and had a sniff around and soon got used to her new surroundings!
Merlin was the same.
My suggestion would to be to leave your buns to settle in their hutch before slowly letting them explore :)

Smirnoff had the run of the place at my old house & when I moved it took him a few weeks to settle in. All the other bunnies were fine after a few days, but it seemed to be a while before he was Top Bun again. He had lived at the other house the longest & was in charge, & at the new house there were other loose bunnies, including new ones!

He's fine now, although he likes me less! He's never been human-friendly. He likes to taunt the caged bunnies, doesn't like it when they do the same back though!

I moved house 10 days ago, I was concerned about Lavener as she hates anything changing - you just move her water bowl and she becomes 'ears forward creeping on her tummy bunny'.

So I've had her on lots of probiotics for weeks before moving, and were sensible with moving. We moved the buns last, and made sure the lounge was ready for them before we moved them. We put their dog crate up and shut them in it for a while to get used to the new room.

I also deliberately brought 'dirty' bunny stuff with me - ie their blankets from their favourite corners etc, rather than putting clean freshly washed ones down in the new house I put their old ones done even tho they needed a wash. Also, I didn' clean their litter tray, I transported it full of poo instead!

I've had no problems at all with either of them. Lavender was doing binkys within hours of moving in. I think I worried about nothing!

Lots of luck with your move. :D

What I would do is in the new house, try to set everything up how it used to be. Keep the cage the same, but their bowls just where they used to be, etc. They should adjust fairly quickly like everyone else said!!!

xxx

Back