• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

possible broken toe - do i need vets visit?

bunnyloopy

Alpha Buck
My small dutch (Loopy) jumped off the top of the microwave earlier (sounds mad I know but it is on the floor to stop them excaping from their run!) he caught his back toes in the vents and although he is walking fine there is blood on one of his toes. I am hoping he has ripped out a nail and not done any more damage.

The nail is at a funny angle over another nail so i am not sure if its the nail partly out or a broken toe. He isnt distressed - should I take him to the vets tomorrow? Would they treat a broken toe? Will the nail if half out cause him distress?

Any help please?

If the nail is half out it could potentially get caught in something and bleed. If the toe is over another one there is also a chance that it could be dislocated.

If it was me I would pop her along to the vet for a quick check up.

Janice

I had a nethie with a broken toe (it stuck out at a 90 degree angle to her foot :shock: ).

She had weeks of vet treatment, with a bandage being changed every week to try and keep it in place hoping it would heal back.

After numerous weeks, the bandage was causing her irriation on her leg, and the toe just wasn't healing.
I decided to have the toe amputated. She went through the op easily, and was back to her good ol' self really quickly.

I'd def get it checked out at the vets.

Thanks for the replies - all back to normal this morning so either nail has come out or toe has righted itself!! Walking, running and jumping about normally so panic over!

Why do bunnies worry us sooooooo much!!!

Back