• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

snuffles

caismeister

Alpha Buck
one of my rabbits starbuck was diagnosed with snuffles about a month ago it was treated and his nose seemed to clear up but now it looks a bit runny again am so worried bout him and the possibility of my other rabbits getting it. starbuck is a house bun an other 2 are outside but dont no how vigilant to be yo reduce risk of alan and michael getting it any help would be great

Hello!

One of my rabbits was suspected to have snuffles as she was sneezing quite a bit (no discharge or any other symptoms). we found this out about a week before we were due to go on holiday so we called the boarding place and they refused to accept her. We then called the rescue where we got her from and the lady who runs it (VERY experienced) said that she would be able to take them for the week. She really didn't seem too fussed about snuffles - was quite flippant about it compared to the vets who I think scaremongered us a bit!

We then found another boarding place closer to home who eventually took them and she said that to actually transmit snuffles the rabbits need to have direct contact with an infected bunny. Therefore, I would try not to worry about your other two getting it as well, especially as they are kept outside and Starbuck is kept inside.

One thing with our bun that we noticed was that she only really sneezed when she was snuggled up to a radiator (our house is quite cool apart from that spot she chose!) and when we moved the radiator to a place that she couldn't get to, the sneezing really calmed down - JCO told me that the respiratory tract can get dry with central heating etc which can cause sneezing. You may want to have a look at how warm Starbuck's environment is? It may help a bit?

Hope she gets better soon.

Melanie

Just make sure that you wash your hands after being with him and be aware that if he wipes his nose on your clothes it can be transfered that way. its the stuff coming out of his nose getting to another rabbit. There are all kind of theorys on how it spreads but ive known it spread to rabbits who you wouldnt think would be in enough contact. This is why its such a bad thing and people should be wary of it because it cannot be cured. val

melaniejb said:
Hello!

One of my rabbits was suspected to have snuffles as she was sneezing quite a bit (no discharge or any other symptoms). we found this out about a week before we were due to go on holiday so we called the boarding place and they refused to accept her. We then called the rescue where we got her from and the lady who runs it (VERY experienced) said that she would be able to take them for the week. She really didn't seem too fussed about snuffles - was quite flippant about it compared to the vets who I think scaremongered us a bit!

We then found another boarding place closer to home who eventually took them and she said that to actually transmit snuffles the rabbits need to have direct contact with an infected bunny. Therefore, I would try not to worry about your other two getting it as well, especially as they are kept outside and Starbuck is kept inside.

Melanie

That is absolutely not true.

Pasteurella is transmitted by aerosol droplets ie inhaling air particles sneezed by an infected rabbit.

They DO NOT need direct contact. As long as air particles moves (which they always do)then so will the infection.

I've experienced a Pastuerella infection spread to various rabbits that were each housed outside in hutches that were several feet away from each other, so yes it has the potential to be highly infectious.

In your case though, i do not think you are high risk as long as house bunny does not go anywhere near outdoor buuny or the areas he/she has been near. Also as Val says, wash your hands & clothing afterwards if you want to be on the safe side.

I have a bun with snuffles who lives with his girlie, he is on penicillin every other day. His girlie and all the other rabbits who are in seperate hutches but share the same shed have never caught it off him.

Back