• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E Cuniculi

beck

Mama Doe
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me anything about E Cuniculi, or any good links/topics on here.
I have read rwf site on it, but couldn't really take it in.
The vet said that this may be what had caused Blueberry's weight loss, I am thinking of Brian and what to do/look for. I will speak to my vet when I go in to pay.
But any info in the mean time would be great.
Thanks.

Quick and easy guide:

1) E. Cuniculi is a parasitic infection spread through spores in urine. Often passed from mother when rabbit is young.

2) Attacks the nervous system. Symptoms may include loss of co-ordination, head tilt, incontinence and weight loss - not all rabbits show all these symptoms.

3) Treated by a long course (6 weeks) of wormer eg panacur or albex.
Any other rabbits living with infected rabbit need treating too.

4) Sometimes symptoms clear up with treatment, sometimes they don't.

That's one of the possible causes for my rabbit's weight loss too. We are still in the process of diagnosing but my vet said that if it is E. Cuniculi then it is fairly easily treated. She also mentioned that it can be spread by fleas.

Thanks guys, I need to get Brian tested then, fingers crossed he's clear.

He seems to be coping ok, he was with Blueberry at the end :cry: and he said his goodbye after, he just looks so alone, Blueberry has left a big gap.
But I guess if it was E. Cuniculi and he has got it, then it'll effect if he can be bonded again? Not that I really want to think about that yet, but I have to put Brian first.

I'm sorry about Bluebell, Beck.
If Brian has his full 6 weeks of treatment he will be fine to be introduced to another bunny.

had a rabbit that had it but didn't show any of the obvious signs just exceesive drinking. I had to treat all the other rabbits as well with panacur but none of the other caught it and she was cleared to. Try not to worry to much (I know easier said than done)

Back