• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting - Grooming a bunny that won't be touched!

racheyrabbit

Alpha Buck
Kahlo looks a state! She's moulting and her fur is all bumpy and tufty! However, she won't be picked up or even stroked, so the potential to groom her is nil! Will she be okay if I just leave her, or should I try and groom her? I don't fancy my chances!

Short coated rabbits can usually sort themselves out fine during a moult :) just keep an eye on her back end (if possible!) because this is where matting is most likely to occur, particularly on the back of the legs and above the tail.

Thanks for that! My Wokky never looked quite as much of a state when she was moulting! Kahlo just looks such a scruff at the moment! Goodness knows what the vets going to think when she goes for her spey the week after next :( . The look I got when I told them she was territorial and aggressive when I last went so could they check her claws and clip them was one of 'are you mad, she's the cutest and cuddliest thing in the world!' because she was clung to me like a limpet and kept trying to get inside my jacket! If only they saw her growl and stamp her feet at home! :lol:

Stick her in the carrier, pop her out on to the kitchen table and she'll probably let you groom her. Once she's out of her normal territory she'll probably behave :)

Tam

I'll have to try that one Tamsin.... its the 'stick her in the carrier' bit that should be fun! :lol: Perhaps she'll be so curious that she'll just hop in! :D

Tamsin's right!, my bunnies behaved like angels at the vets because they didn't know where they were :D good luck with the grooming!

I have a rather territorial bun I am fostering at the moment, she is hard to get out of her dog crate if I want her out, once she has wondered out she is very different. I would agree with the idea Tamsin suggests, let her climb into a pet carrier and then remove the lid and groom her. Making sure you have lots of treats to hand.

Janice

Back