• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maintaining a healthy weight and teeth!

Truffybuns

Warren Scout
Took Truffy to the Vets last night for her myxi jab and general check up. I would first like you all to join me in a round of applause for the bunny slimmer of the year as she weighed in at 2.8 which he said is fine for her. (shame her mum can't show the same dedication to her diet :oops: ) He had a look at her back teeth and said they were out of line and one molar was longer than the others but nothing needed doing as of yet. (she is four years old)Her diet consists of a small corner of rivita in the morning when I clean her litter tray out, a handful of veg in the morning and then another piece of veg when I get home from work. Now this diet has obviously worked for her losing weight but I don't want her to lose any more. Should I reintroduce pellet food into her diet and if so what brand should I use and how much to give her? She has baskets full of timothy hay and orchard grass to munch all day but is there anything else that would be benefitual to wear her teeth down? I am not relishing the prospect of Truffy having to under go surgery for her teeth if there is anyhting I can do to help the situation. Any advise gratfully received please!!!

Sorry for waffling :lol:

:thumb: bless her, did she get a sash to wear? :D
I think hay is one of the best things to wear teeth down, as well as leafy veg. Sounds like you're both doing a great job! If you want to give her a bit of variety, you could try readigrass, or hay cakes?

Didn't think of a sash :lol: she did have a nice piece of celery when we got home and I have told everyone I know :roll: (still wondering why everyone is giving me strange looks, I am very proud of her!) I did make up two more baskets of hay so hopefully the fact that everywhere she walks she is confronted by a basket of hay will give her a clue that she should eat more of the stuff! I am worrying now though whether I should have insisted that they deal with the long tooth now before it gets any worse rather than leaving it for the recommended three months before I take her back for a check up. What signs should I look out for that will give me a indication that she is having trouble with her teeth?

It should be ok. Bobby has a tooth that could be a problem in the future, but I just check that he's still eating (with gusto!) and weepy eyes can be a sign too. I'ms ure there are more things to look out for, and someone with more knowledge should be along soon!

Back