• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit eye problems

Quinn

Mama Doe
Does this sound right to you

My friends bun has had a crusy eye for a couple of weeks and its sort of red round the edges, shes taken her to the vets where they said it was a stye and they couldnt do anything other than give eye drops which would not do anything but stop the itching

Friend says that there are little lumps under her eye which for some reason apparently the vet said arent mites but now friend says the other eye looks like it could be going a bit crusty

It was only this saturday she took her and she says the original eye does look a bit better but does that sound right - just seems a little weird to me but then i know nothing

Strange , never had a rabbit with a sty. The other eye starting to weep sounds like conjunctivitus.I would say put drops in both eyes and go back to vet to tell them its gone to the other eye. val

Well this is the vet at our practice ive been moaning about which is why i was supicious to start with - i did look up rabbits with stys on google but didnt really find anything and i told her to take the bun back to the vets

Why not get a second opinion,this vet doesnt sound too good for bunnys??thats definatly not right to have eyes like that sounds like a infection related thing?

yeah need to convince friend tho as she left her for weeks with her eye like that because she had no money now shes paid £20 for this will be hard to get her to spend more :( :( :(

Can you or your friend bathe the eye in the meantime? Just with some cooled boiled water and cotton wool, just get rid of the crusty bits and clean away any gunk and muck :D Our fern, has eye problems and when they flare up she quite enjoys having it all cleaned up and soothed :lol:

It will make the bun alot more comfortable she/he will really appreciate it as they can't really clean that area by themselves esp if they are not feeling too bright and should stop it getting too bad before you get her/him to a rabbit savvy vet.

I think shes been doing that and the drops seem to be helping with the crustyness for now but if it were a stye why would that cause lumps under the eye and why would the vet mention mites?

I think I would def talk to her about a second opinion. Fern has had eye problems since we got her last April and not once has the vet mentioned styes it has always been either an infection and or blocked tear ducts,

It is really frustrating when you are sure a vet is wrong but you don't feel that you can question them, I had this with one of the partners at our vets as our regular vet was on holiday, now I always insist on seeing our regular vet as she really knows her stuff! :D

Back