• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting MAYA

JIMGRACIE

Mama Doe
Maya is really moulting. I am a little worried that he is loosing too much hair too quick.

Heres a pick. He looks so scruffy!! (The bald bit on his ear is where the anaesthetic was injected for castration - back in November).

P1250009.jpg

My poor baby boy!!

Oh bless him! how old is he? when my old bunny Bilbo used to moult, he went all patchy for a while, he seemed to loose all his coat in one go! :shock: is maya's fur lighter at the roots? if it is this makes it look worse. I had to groom Bilbo twice a day to make sure he didn't get a fur ball blockage.

I have got the same problem at the moment, just have to keep brushing Eddie bun :lol: :lol: :lol: the problem is, I dont know which coat he is moulting, I dont know if he is getting his summer coat coming through or a thicker winter coat :? :? either way, he refused to go to bed last night, I am wondering if he senses when it is going to be a cold one as he asked to go to be tonight and it is not too bad out tonight :? :?

He looks to be going into a big moult , this may be worse after the stress of his op. When they moult heavily the fur will come out in big chunks. Is he an indoor rabbit?. The weather has been very cold here i wouldnt have expected moult yet.Is there new hair visable underneath the old hair coming out?, if not then its stress induced moult. Its the new hair pusing through that causes the fur to fall. val

A problem I see very often in neutered buns but not in entire buns is that they get "stuck in moult". Moulting takes ages and ages and ages....

I think it must be hormone related.

MAYA, we dont know his exact age. I got him from my ex boss, and after the way she treated me, she probably lied about Mayas age as well. My ex boss told me he was about a year old!!

Maya lives outside, thats why i was worried that he was loosing too much, too fast. There is hair growing undernearth. Its coming back darker then his last coat. His coat he is moulting, is white at the roots and is black towards the tips, so maybe thats why he looked bad? The pic was taken three days ago. He looks a bit better now. I am grooming him to help with the moult and to stop him getting knotty.

If it carries on then i'll take him to the vets, to see Mark.

2 of my 4 outdoor bunnies are moulting really heavily at the moment - it seems to have been going on for a good 6 weeks or so already for Harry, but Heather has only just started, she has a bright orange shaped V on her nose :lol:

Back