• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny health checks, how often and what??

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Hi there, been bunny shopping today so very excited now! Can anyone advise me on bunny health checks? How often do you do them and what do you look for each time? I know they need their bums checked daily but what exactly am I looking for and what do I do if I find it?? Info along these lines would be great :D

Basic checks are ears, eyes, teeth and bum - check for any unusual soreness or discharge.
When checking the bum it should be clear - no poos stuck to it, and no wee around their 'bits'. Overeating can cause slightly sticky poos which can collect on the bum (usually resolves itself, especially if you put the bun on a hay-only diet for a day), and also if the bun doesn't eat its caecal poos these can get stuck (overweight buns may not be able to reach to eat these, also if the bun has a collar on after surgery or something). However, diarreah should be checked out ASAP as a bun can deteriorate quite quickly.
Ears and eyes should be clear and free of discharge. Weepy eyes can be a sign of dental problems, but that's not the only cause. Ear infections can cause pus collecting in the ear.
Teeth should be even, not overgrown (incisors should meet in the middle, though the top set will be slightly more forward than the other) and not curling inwards or outwards. There should be no dribble on the chin/front paws (which could indicate back teeth problems)
You should also feel the bun over for any unusual lumps and bumps, that could be wounds, breaks or growths. Handling the bun daily also makes you more aware if the bun rapidly loses weight.
You should also keep an eye on nail length - you'll get an idea of how long it is before your bun needs them cutting after a while though. And any health conditions should be carefully observed, such as sore hocks (usually in rexes), molar problems if the rabbit gets spurs, smaller or lack of poos if the bun is off its food, not drinking much or drinking more than usual, etc.

Back