• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bit concerned about Smudge!

Melndan

Mama Doe
He won't eat hay and doesn't seem to want to chew anything. I have given him an apple tree twig and he has some wood chews but isnt entertained at all by them.

The vet has checked his teeth and said they look fine but I am concerned he will have problems if he doesn't start chewing soon.

Any advice anyone?

Hiya. How much dried feed are you giving him?? If he is pigging out on pellets/cereal mix he wont bother too much with the hay. Does he have access to grass?? You could pull up a handful for him if he is an indoor only bun. Also have you tried different hays. Some of the Pet Shop stuff is rubbish. If you can locate a Horse Feed Supplier you are likely to get a better quality hay from there ( and it'll be lots cheaper!!). Jane and Buns xx

Mine dont seem to chew on wood chews or branches either.. they just arent interested. I had alot of probs finding hay they would eat and found the only thing i could get they would eat was dried grass from petshops which they loved! I have recently found a petshop that splits bales of hay and bags it so it is alot fresher and they go mad for it now. Also, as Jane has said, how much dried food does he have? My two have about 50g (full treatball)between them of their pellet food every evening otherwise its just loads of hay, some veggies at night, and occasionally a handful of dried grass

He has less than 50g of SS at the mo as I am weaning him onto it, and he only picks little bits out of the other stuff. He has some veg in the morning.
I have only given him a tiny bit of SS today and just had a look at him and he seems to be munching on some hay ! YAY!!
I did have a bag of meadow hay from the pet shop which was horrible so I bought some nice green stuff from another store in town ( which smelled so different) and I think he might quite like it.
Thanks for your replies xxxx

yes the taste of the hay is crucial - my last lot from WWW was green and they couldn't get enough of it - The new batch is full of weeds and smelt foul - they starved for a day rather than eat it! WWW are replacing it ASAP though - hope I get another box of the good stuff!

My silly bunny eats the harvest straw I bought her for beding, which is horrid and dry but the nice green Meadow Hay I bought her for eating she wont even look at and in fact uses it to go to the toilet on..... so thats what she thinks of that. Very strange creature but hey who am I to tell her what to eat..... lol

Karen xx

Back