• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's wrong with my boy? UPDATED 31/3/06

melaniejb

Mama Doe
For those of you who don't know Albert's been having wee accidents when he is definately littler trained. I took him to the vets last week and I also mentioned that I thought he'd lost weight. He weighed 1.88kg on wednesday and I took him back this morning and he weighs 1.82kg so he's lost 6 grams in 4 days. His wee problem seems to be much better but he's in for tests today - blood, urine and xrays.

Just so I can prepare myself, does anyone have any ideas what it could be that's making him lose so much weight? The vet said that she couldn't feel any lumps although we shouldn't rule it out. my poor baby, I'm so worried about him :cry:

I don't know the background at all to his wee problem, however, that doesn't seem like a lot of weight to lose, even in a short time :? One of my buns varies in weight between 3.00 and 3.10 every time we have her to the vet, and that is usually every couple of months.

Humans can vary in weight on a daily basis, depending on what time of the day you weigh yourself - maybe buns are the same :?

Hopefully the test today will bring positive news for you - I hope your wee man is better soon :)

I've just read your other post about Albert being unwell. I didn't realise he had already lost a lot of weight, and that you were therefore concerned that he had lost more :oops: I had taken this as an isolated incidence, which was why I'd thought it didn't seem a lot of weight to lose.

Sending lots of positive vibes to Albert - hope he's feeling much better soon :)

There are all sorts of things that can cause weight loss... so I don't think we can really give you any advise on here :?

Best of luck though... good vibes to Albert :)

The vet called me just after I posted earlier. She had taken a blood test but the results were inconclusive. Apparently there were loads of contradictions in the results so she had to take another blood test and has sent it to an 'out of house' laboratory for analysis as in her words 'if the results (from their analysis machine) are accurate we are looking at one hell of a sick bunny'.

We've got him home now and he's just normal, quite happy snuggled up to Poppy. We are so so so worried about him, I just wish he could let us know if he was in pain.

I made a mistake - he has lost 60 grams since wednesday not 6 unfortunately.

Weigh loss can be so many different things so your vet is doing right to see what a blood test shows.

In the mean time you can do things to help support him like providing food to build him up. Porridge is good for this, just mix a few oats with water. You can also give him a few extra pellets.

You could also give him pro-biotics and vitamins :)

Tam

Porridge I take it is good for bunnies, so can candy have some of the one i cook for myself with half milk and half water and a little bit of salt or is it just the oats mixed with a bit of cold water that she can have.

No milk and no salt for bunnies I'm afraid. Just mix the plain porridge oats up with water :)

Thanks Tamsin! Is is OK to give porridge to bunnies even if the reason for is weight loss is serious? We still haven't heard anything from the vets so I don't want to give him anything that he shouldn't have.

melaniejb said:
Thanks Tamsin! Is is OK to give porridge to bunnies even if the reason for is weight loss is serious? We still haven't heard anything from the vets so I don't want to give him anything that he shouldn't have.
Porridge Oats will be fine. I would hold off on CARROTS until Alberts kidney function is established. You could also add some multivitamins to his drinking water as IF he has a kidney problem he will be excreting many essential Vitamins before his body has metabolised them. Jane and Buns xx

Thought I'd keep you all updated!

I spoke to the vet today who said that the blood results had come back and they show that a liver enzyme is high but both red and white blood cells are low. Poor Albs has got to go to the vets for more tests (they waited a whole day on monday for a urine sample but to no avail however when he's at home he's weeing on EVERYTHING!!!!! I think he's just being an awkward blighter!!:roll: ) ultrasounds, blood tests, xrays etc next week.

The vet thinks that it could possibly be E. Cuniculi (she hopes as this is the easiest treated/diagnosed apparently) or it could be a pasturella abcess somewhere :( . She is also slightly concerned about his liver but has eliminated renal disease...don't know how I feel now, but the vet seemed optomistic and didn't seem worried so I guess that's good-ish news isn't it????? :?

Thank god we bought rabbit insurance 2WEEKS AGO!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Again another update!

We took Albert back to the vets for xrays and ultrasounds, blood and urine tests, blood and urine cultures and for his back teeth to be filed (cost £800 :shock: how I wish I'd worked harder at school and become a vet!!!!!). We are still waiting for the cultures to come back but the xrays and ultrasounds were absolutely normal! :D

He's still a very happy and seemingly healthy little man though! Will keep you updated as to how the cultures turn out!!!! :D

Wow, £800 :shock: Good job we love our furries eh!!!! Did your insurance cover that?!

I hope your bun gets well soon xxxx

loopylop said:
Wow, £800 :shock: Good job we love our furries eh!!!! Did your insurance cover that?!

I hope your bun gets well soon xxxx

The insurance should cover it! It was another £200 the week before so we've spent just over £1000 to try and get a diagnosis, if he needs treatment it will all be additional :shock: :? :shock: :?

ah well, that's what insurance is for - none of mine are insured so I would have to diagnose them myself, wait and see and hope for the best :?

I have my Giants insured but none of my others. I Hope everything goes ok and that it is the E Cunculi as one of mine had it Nov 2004 and Panacur (dog wormer) cured her, I did have to give it to all my others but as precautionary measure but they were all fine.
Good Luck
Kayxx

Snuggle to Albert

NEW UPDATE!!!!!

I've just got off the phone from the vet and she said that basically Albert is fit and healthy!!!!!!! :shock: :D

We have just spent £1000 to find that out!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I can't believe it!!!!!

She said that Albert HAS been exposed to E. Cuniculi however she doubts that that is the cause for his accidents and his weight loss as it is so weak in his system! She just puts his weight loss down to his teeth being slightly overgrown (he had them filed when he went for his xrays) although they were only just overgrown and weren't causing any ulceration or lesions!

I just can't believe it! I'm absolutely chuffed (slightly peeved at spending that much money to find there's nothing wrong!)! :D

melaniejb said:
NEW UPDATE!!!!!

I've just got off the phone from the vet and she said that basically Albert is fit and healthy!!!!!!! :shock: :D

We have just spent £1000 to find that out!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I can't believe it!!!!!

She said that Albert HAS been exposed to E. Cuniculi however she doubts that that is the cause for his accidents and his weight loss as it is so weak in his system! She just puts his weight loss down to his teeth being slightly overgrown (he had them filed when he went for his xrays) although they were only just overgrown and weren't causing any ulceration or lesions!

I just can't believe it! I'm absolutely chuffed (slightly peeved at spending that much money to find there's nothing wrong!)! :D
I too am DELIGHTED that Albert is OK but ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS that so much expense has been incured. Insured or not I do feel that this is taking the mick. Jane and Buns xx

Back