• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Jazz has mites :(

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
He has been itching his back area a lot in the past 24 hour, i have checked him and he has what i describe as browny bits of walking dandruff :? :( :( im going to try and get him booked in at the vets today hopefully!!!

Any ideas on cost of treatment as i have to pay for it myself and im only 15!

It's usually the consultation that's more expensive than the treatment. :( I think when Evo had mites, the consulation was £15 then the stuff for treatment was about £4. I had to take him back for the subsequent extra doses that were 10 days apart to make sure all the mites were gone, but then my vets don't charge the consultation fee for a follow up.

Apart from making him very uncomfortable, they bite the skin and can cause it to bleed and scab and the hair comes off. This is what happened to a guinea pig belonging to someone I know and the longer it was left the more treatment she needed. Would really try and get him to the vets asap

Can someone maybe give you the money and then you can pay them back :) Best to get it seen to as quickly as possible :)

As mites are uncomfortable for your bunny it would not be fair to put off treatment. Perhaps ask your parents to lend you the money?

What about the blue cross maybe they will help you.Surely your parents can help??As your only 15??I wonder how they get mites?? :shock: Its making me itch are you sure??have you had a good look??

I got him booked in at the vet at 5 tomorrow yes there is little crawly things that look like dandruff there and hes very fidgity and keeps biteing himself, my parents are lending me the money :D

Jazzy B Bunny said:
I got him booked in at the vet at 5 tomorrow yes there is little crawly things that look like dandruff there and hes very fidgity and keeps biteing himself, my parents are lending me the money :D

You dont know how pleased i am to hear that - im not trying to start a fight here lol but it really annoys me when someone cant afford to take an animal to the vets and parents wont lend the money just because you promised to look after it yourself etc (assuming parents can afford it of course)

Awww poor Jazz :(

Lucky your an excellent owner, and noticed the prob early :) It's much more difficult and expensive to treat when the mites take a grip!

Sounds like it is in the very early stages of infestation, so should take no time at all to clear up :)

Good on you for checking your buns coat :)

Quinn said:
Jazzy B Bunny said:

You dont know how pleased i am to hear that - im not trying to start a fight here lol but it really annoys me when someone cant afford to take an animal to the vets and parents wont lend the money just because you promised to look after it yourself etc (assuming parents can afford it of course)

Yep I know, i pay for everything else cos hes my bun :D and i love him to bits and would do anything for him. so tomorrow im setting up a savings account just for vets bills :D

and yes my parents can afford it :wink: they are just stubbern :lol:

Hope all goes well at the vets. In away your parents are right as they are teaching you to be responsible and it sounds like you have definately learnt from it. Well done for checking your rabbit :D

You will probably need to buy a hutch spray too... to make sure they don't come back! They will be in the bun's environment as well as on the bun.

I treat all my buns with DynaMite as a oreventative measure. It's made of essential oils and stuff and I love the smell of it :lol:

I used a different spray for the hamsters, a more scary strong one. They caught some mites that you can get on wild mice and these things really liked eating ME!!! :? :? :shock:

hes fine now, the vet gave him an all over check and said hes really healthy checked his teeth and all great and hes the most well behaved and cared for bun shes seen in a long time!

He got given ivomec (sp) drops on his back.

total cos £22.50 :)

he had the early stages of mites :(

Setting up an account is a brilliant idea. Then if you don't need the money you've still got it unlike insurance...
As long as you save enough up that is :lol:

Back