• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My cat Mitzy. 'a good bye'

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
:( I've edited this from a post i made at another forum I visit, but I wanted Mitsy to be at the 'rainbow bridge' too as I think it's a lovely thing and I hope it'll help me deal. Mitzy was an old lady of 16, I've had her since I was 4, so it's difficult for me to come to terms with.

A few weeks ago i noticed Mitzy had a lump on her jaw, we took her to the vet and established Mitzy a tumour in her mouth, tis was just before I went back to uni. I was back at uni for nearly 2 weeks and my Mum phoned me thursday night to tell me Mitzy couldn't eat anymore, so she was taking her to the vets friday evening to be put down. I asked her to wait so I could come home, but we decided it would be best for me not to.

I decided I wanted to though. Friday morning resulted in me making panicked phone calls to my Mum who wasn't answering her phone, and resulted in my crying to a friend. "She's gonna kill my cat!" ... the joys of hysteria. :?

Anyway I got home, Mitsy was pleased to see me. She was asking for food but unable to eat it, I got her to lick some butter from my hand and some squirty cream. She had a saucer of milk but it was all she could manage.

My Mum was very worried about waiting for me because of Mitsy suffering, it was pretty heart rending seeing her want food but not be able to eat it. The lump was pretty prominant and making her drool a bit. I heard my Mum say on the phone that Mitzy was pleased to see me and she spent the whole night asleep on my lap.

The neighbour had to take us on saturday morning, as my Dad is visiting my Grandad who has broke his hip. So that was weird, trying not to get emotional in front of this old tough guy, who said at least it's not your dog, that'd be upsetting.

The cat carry case was in my Dad's car so we had to borrow an old wicker picnic basket, but i put an old jumper in and Mitsey settled down well. I'm sure sad fm was playing on the car radio, Beegee's emotion, you are not alone, Angels. All played.

We stayed with Mitsy when she had the injections and stroked her til she fell asleep. It was hard, she didn't want to go, but we couldn't let her starve to death. After the anaesthitic I so wanted to say, just wake her up, and let us take her home. The vet was real nice though and said it was a shame she got so old and then couldn't die of natural causes. My Mum and I both cried, then they expect you to go into the waiting room and pay. I just marched out with the box and her collar.

It feels weird now. We keep on thinking we can hear her knocking at the door to be let in, as she has for the past 16 years, ever since she was 6 weeks old and the people across the roads cat had kittens. I've tried not to think too much about it so as not to get upset, but I wanted to get it out. People tend to say, 'it's only a cat' or 'you can get another one' or something stupid and completely uncomforting like that, so I needed to get this all out here.

Some pics?
~~~
Image3.gif

Mitzy was a tiny cat all her like. Until she was 6 we had a tom called Tipsey, who sadly died. She loved Tipsey, even though she hates all other cats. They were partners in crime. Tipsey used to ead Mitsy up the porch and over the roofs of the houses, only she used to get stuck on top of the porch when he came in through my open bedroom window and my Dad had to get the ladder to fetch her down.

mandt.jpg

There's me with them, after i'd just had my tonsils out, I wasn't feeling very well. Look how little I am.

mitz.jpg

Mitsy used to tap on windows to be let in and look through to see if you were coming. She used to leap up our street door to look through the window and cling on until the door was opened, somehow knocking the knocker at the same time. This amazed people, but annoyed my Dad something cronic, due to the claw marks. He always threatened to throw water on her when he opened the door, but he never did. If you opened the window at night you couldn't see her at all.

DSCF0047.jpg

Aw, see her little white hairs? This was after we moved north. At first my parents weren't going to bring Mitsy, as I would have been on holiday while they moved and the people moving in offered to keep her. But i threatened to go knock on the door and refuse to leave til they gave her back. So she came with and she loved country life and having mice to hunt, everyone knew her round here. When she stopped going out so much everyone asked after her.

Mitsy was never a very playful at but she'd attack a bit of string and liked slinking about outside and sunbathing. She ruled the Penny dog with an iron fist, even though Penny loved her. She hated children and being picked up and would scratch anyone who dared, unless it was me. My only scar is from where Mitzy was sitting on my lap and the door slammed, she jumped and dug her claws in, I have three little dots on my thigh. She loved getting in amongst my teddies and sleeping. She would only drink milk, not water, and when she decided it was feeding time, it was feeding time. I'm sure she and Penny were in conspiracy about this. Penny would fetch you into the kitchen where Mitsy would be waiting to meow very loudly. She would only meow if you were in the kitchen. She likes cheese and runner beans and creeping into small dark places. She was never ill in her life, apart from check ups and the tumour she never had to go to the vet. She purred a lot and made squinty eyes, but she was very selective about who's lap she would sit on. Wehn i first went to uni when I would come home she'd follow me around like a shadow ready to jump on me, boy could her claws dig in, when she neaded me. The only way to get her off was to get someone to pretend to feed her, or she'd just get right back on again, and I felt too mean to just stand up. :p She loved having her chin rubbed, saddly she couldn't the last couple of days. Sometimes she'd do that sleepy thing where she'd rock and fall over then jump up. She always sat outside on the tinyest places, like windowsills or fences. Everyone always thought she was a kitten cos she was so small. She had a bb pellet in the loose skin of her side for years, we don't know how it got there, it just worked it self out. The vet said it wasn't doing iny harm. I was so amazed when one day I felt for it and it wasn't there.

I'll miss Mitsy lots, the house just doesn't feel the same, even my Dad said it and he's a self proclaimed cat hater. :cry: r.i.p Mitz. <3<3<3 p.s. We never decided on the spelling of Mitsy/Mitzy. As I made the word up when I was 4 and a bit. I wonder if anyone read all that. :)

sleepy.jpg

aawww :cry: they leave such a big hole in our lives when they go :cry: lovely pictures of Mitzy. It's hard when you've had a pet for so long. thinking of you xx

I did read all of it and I feel so sorry for you, especially as you had her from 4 years old - she was part of your life. Don't let anyone tell you it's just a cat, she was part of the family as much as anyone else. Sending hugs to you.

As for having to pay straight afterwards, that's rotten, my vet has in the past told me to go straight home and not to worry about paying there and then on the spot thankfully.

Back