• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much do your buns cost??

My bunnys are not insured,roughly a month without vets fees, and i have the 5 bunnies now a large sack of food is about £14.00 depending on what you buy,fresh vegs a month Id say about £20.00,if your only having 1 or 2 bunnys it wont cost as much,but bare it in mind these figures are for 5 bunnys and its a rough figure, :D i forgot about the hay and straw :oops: that be around £30

My money without vet bills mainly goes on litter for their trays, hay and fresh veg +herbs as this is their main diet. The pellets I brought a big bag of P@H pellets in about August time and am still using them (they only have a tiny amount of these each day. Depends where you shop I guess, but probably £40 minimum per month on veg, hay and litter stuff. :roll:

I've only got one bun..... and I spend about £10 a month on Oxbow Timothy Hay, about £5 on litter and hay for her litter tray and about £5 on vegetables. I bought a bag of pellets (£3) in November and haven't run out yet because she only has a tiny amount a day.

if you can find a farm shop near you that sells it and have somewhere to store a bale it would probably be better to get one. It is much better value for money (i get mine for £3.50 a bale) and its often much better quality than pet shop stuff, as it hasn't sat around in plastic bags.

Our 2 buns cost us...

Food - about 50p per week (we bought a massive 20kg bag for £10 which lasts for ages)
Readi grass - about 10p per week
Hay - £2 pw
Fresh veg - £1-2 pw
litter - £5 pw
insurance - £13 pcm
+ vets bills

In Orkney farms and their suppliers are one thing we do have lots of! I'm trying to find out where my aunty gets the hay for her horses and hopefully I could get mine from there too. Or else i'll get in thouch with one of the farm supply shops. :D
This is working out not too bad, I was expecting a bit more. Very good :lol:

I have 2 buns

- quinn is insured which cost £71.50 for the year and about to get rosie done too so that should cover most of the vets bills altho they have both cost £30 for their 2 vaccinations and as their are foxes and probably wild buns around there they will need the myxi twice a year - i also had quinns claws done at £5 but have clippers to do that now

Mine eat normal meadow hay and seem happy with that doesnt cost me much as i get it from our suppliers so probably a few quid a month - a few quid more for shavings a couple of quid a week for veg and then they have science selective food which they probably only get through a small bag a month as rosie still gets a lot being a baby and quinn is outdoors and still under 6 months so thats another couple of quid

All in all probably without the vets bills i dont spend more than £20 a month

Well I spoke to my aunty and she 's going to get me some bales from her supplier, cost: £1.50 a bale!!!! I am very pleased with myself! 8) :lol:

I have two bunnies, neither are insured. I think I spend about £5.00 a week on them for pellets, hay and megazorb but I've never added up how much I spend on veggies as I eat them too I don't really see them as an added expense (although it is really because I buy more now than I used to :roll: ).
At the moment my Mum pays for their vets needs as I don't really have enough money. She says she sees them as therapy for me and pets without the hardwork for her.
And one day I'm going to have enough money to give her a big fat thank you cheque! :lol:

Roughly, I tend to spend about £20-25 per week on food/bedding on mine.

I have 3 male bunnies to neuter in the next month (at £42 each), a new hutch for Alfie to buy (about £150-200), and a joiner has to come in the spring to add shelves and fly net doors to the shed.

I'm also thinking of a new hutch block..on wheels :p....I'm serious :shock: (I'm an obsessive cleaner, and it's hurting my back moving my HUUUGE hutch block on my own every week to clean behind! :shock: :D)

On housing, I've spent quite a bit. The summer house was £1400. Adding an electicity supply was £150. The hutch block I still have atm was £250. My second hutch block was £200. I bought a new outdoor hutch at £130...and have an isolation outdoor hutch that cost £50.

I've spend about £90 on an indoor cage, and a dog crate too.

I havent event started with the vacs and health care of all 10 of my bunnies either!

I'm a full time student too! Guess where all my money goes :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

when I had 2 rabbits it cost me £13 a week for food, litter, hay, toys - plus vets on top of that.

The piggies and the other bunnies have reduced my life savings from £3000 to less than £1000 in just 6 months :shock:

I have two bunnies, I probably spend about £30-40 a month on them - food, bedding, etc. and £60 a year on vacs. Looking to buy a new hutch soon, being looking today, about £200 for a good one. They are not insured, but my credit card is there for emergencies.

God bless the SLC! And Visa!

Excluding vets I only spend about £30 a month on 13 buns

But somehow all my wages (about £300 a month) seem to go on the buns :?

Back