• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

another question re. litter tray for indoor/outdoor buns

peediepixie

Mama Doe
My potential rescue bun has been an indoor bun so far but would be equally happy outside according to his rescue home. I'm assuming this means he's litter trained. If this is the case, if I put a litter tray in his hutch outside he'll use it right?? Therefore he'll continue to be litter trained and be ok for times I take him inside. Am I right or just talking rubbish :lol:
I am intending to keep them (I don't know who his gf will be yet as he is yet to be bonded before I get them) outside most of the time but they will get in sometimes too...

All my outside bunnies use litter trays in their shed/hutch - But with the cold weather, Benny, who was immaculately trained before, has decided to keep his litter tray full of hay as his 'bed' (it stops the draughts nicely from under the door) and he gets out of bed to pee on the floor now! :roll:

The girls in the shed are loose in the shed, so it's similar to a house situation - they had never used litter trays before I got them aged about one yr old, and they took to it straight away as I put their eating hay in there rather than in a hay rack etc. - And importantly their trays are big enough for all the bunnies at once - I use underbed storage boxes from Wilkinsons.

All mine have litter trays and use them!
There all ouside in a summer house,when i bring them in i bring there litter tray in and they use in while there indoors too
You need to see which corner your bun is going to toilet in and put the litter tray there although two of mine do it in two corners so they have two litter trays

does anybody's rabbit hold their wee till they get back 'home' when they have a trip into the house? I would guess that's not very nice for the rabbit either?

Maa tried to hold her wee last time she went to the vets for an op - she held it all day! :shock: then burst in the cat carrier home - You could tell she was mortified poor girl as she usually runs to her tray and pees when she gets home.

When I let Benny and Pepsi in the house they would hold it too, for over an hour - I think they are creatures of habit.

I don't put hay in a rack - my bunnies trample on it a fair bit, but in balance with that it does keep them amused as they like to riffle through it and hunt out the best bits, like a bit of clover or plantain - Hay is a great toy, and if they do the toilet stuff whilst keeping amused that's another bonus! :D

I top the litter trays up with fresh 3 or 4 times a day, just at one end of the tray, rather than give them all their day's rations in one go (which would fill the tray and get peed on straight away) - Obviously that's time consuming so it depends how much time you have.

When flip flop was outside she was in a playhouse.
Every morning I would let her out to have the run of the garden. When she was out she had a certain place she would go to relieve herself.

After she got used to this place she would wait the whole time she was in the playhouse at night or in the day until she was let out.

It was so funny to see her so eager to get out and run as fast as she could to get to her toilet. So her 'toilet' area in the play house was clean.
It actually started when I put a litter tray in there. She didn't like it.

I often wondered if it was bad for her to wait so long.

Back