• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Toothless Trio - true love!

Karly

Banned
Bless. Since I've had to start seperating Mary from the others, it's really shown me what a bond the three of them have. Mary spends half the day in a puppy pen on his own, to give him a chance to eat and drink without the other two pinching it first (as he'll just sit back and let them tuck in to his porridge), and so I can monitor his weeing and pooing. The pen is attached onto the front of the crate though, so they can still see and smell each other. Thankfully the bond hasn't been broken by doing this - once I open up the crate door to let them all in together, they immediately have a snuggle (before Squishy and Rex run off to lick the remains out of Mary's porridge bowl!)
Though Squishy is a little less open about his affections, you can see he misses Mary. He sticks his nose through the crate bars in the day to see Mary, and often all three will sleep alongside each other, which the crate door seperating them.
Rex and Mary, however, have been snuggling as if they've got years to make up for! It's so adorable to see them, they snuggle as close as possible and groom each other. Definately shows how lovely a bonded pair/trio can be!
I meant to post photos to show, but my domain isn't working right now, so will post this and add them as soon as I can!

Here we go, here's the photos!
heeh.jpg

Mary laying near the door

letmeout.jpg

letmeout2.jpg

Squishy wants me to open up!

P1010043.jpg

Group reunion

P1010044.jpg

Squishy off to check out the porridge bowl!

P1010045.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010048.jpg

P1010049.jpg

P1010052.jpg

Rex and Mary having a cuddle/groom/lunch together!

Hi Karly, cool photos! I like your mini rex, he's lovely and looks just like mine, what colour is he? At first I thought he was a fawn like my boy, but then he looks like he has a dark face, or is that just the photo? My little rex Aubin is fawn but he has lilac tipping on his coat, like a lynx, so he's either a badly coloured lynx or fawn, but I don't care, I love him! Do you find yours to be super-friendly?

Anna

No idea what colour he is, or if he's even pure mini rex (he sometimes looks to me like he has Netherland Dwarf in him, and his brother was much bigger and had bigger ears than him)
He was from a petshop I used to work in - got begged to take him on when it became apparent his broken tooth was healing wonky and causing malloclusion of all his incisors - something expensive that no customer would want to take on (plus legally I don't think you're allowed to sell an animal with a health problem), rather than him have to be pts. Being the sucker I am, I did!
He's not really friendly, much better than he was but having spent 6 months in a tiny cage in a petshop, the only handling to have his teeth checked and be taken to the vet (who CLIPPED them instead of burred :evil: ), I'm not surprised. He hates having hands near his face - again, not surprised. I saw the petshop's vet clip them once (had to take him there just after I took him home as my vet was fully booked) and it looked barbaric.
He does get very protective over his food too! Has a big grunt and 'lunges' for you and butts you with his nose to get you away from his bowl. He scared my brother by doing it today :lol:
Here's a few photos of him that show his colouring better:
P1010169.jpg

P1280015.jpg

P1280024.jpg

P5220077.jpg

P5220049.jpg

Well he's really nice anyway, and he looks like a proper mini rex to me. There can be a bit of variation in ear length, I have seen some with quite long pointy ears and others with much shorter rounded ears. I can't really pick his coat colour, but he looks like a fawn with a lot of lilac tipping, could be a badly coloured lynx or a washed out opal, doesn't matter, he's gorgeous and I bet he appreciates you and loves you with all his little heart, even if he doesn't show it!

Anna

twilightpagan said:
What lovely bunnys,Awwwwww,when you said they checking out the porriage bowl?do they eat porriage?? :D

Mary's not been well - he lost about half his weight in a week or two :?
The vet suspected kidney related problems, so he had antibiotics incase it was an infection, then a course of Panacur incase it was EC.
He also had a dental incase it was his teeth, as he wasn't eating much hay (but would eat his pellets), and if he had veg he would begin to eat a strand and drop it halfway. We didn't know whether he'd just lost his appetite because of kidney problems, or if it hurt to eat because of his teeth. He's had problems with molar spurs before, and had his incisors out almost 2 years ago, so although he had no spurs this time his molars weren't ideal, they were on a slant.
Because of the weightloss and possible kidney failure, I had to be careful what I fed him, but obviously wanted to get him to put some weight on (as he was a scaru 610g at his lowest - tiny even for a Nethie), so he had porridge (soaked porridge oats), sometimes with Weetabix, and occasionally some grated/finely chopped veg. Once he'd had his share, and I'd opened up the crate door, the other two HAD to lick it clean. Though they did occasionally get some of it too, I couldn't resist their little faces :lol:
Not sure whether it was the dental or the Panacur, or a combination of both, but my little guy has been putting back on the weight he lost and his appetite is DEFINATELY back :lol: He's currently hopping between the four bowls in their cage to see if he missed any pellets :roll: And has no problem eating his veg.

Back