• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

am I doing the right thing?

touie

Wise Old Thumper
First of all Amy was sneezing, I was giving her baytril for her bite wound and her sneezing seems to have stopped :D Only problem now is that Fudge is sneezing lots and is very snuffly :( I still have some baytril so i gave him that this morning. Do you think that was the right thing to do or should i take him back to the vets? :? Also if the baytrils ok, how long should i give it for? Amy had a weeks worth which seemed to do the trick for her!

I personally would go back to the vets. One time I was there they gave me a big bottle of baytrill to keep at home and use when I need, but I never feel safe diagnosing myself and always go to the vets for their opinion. :D

If you have a week's worth of baytril, you could give him that - but you need a different dose to what Amy had as it's by weight, so you should ask the vet what the correct dosage is anyway....And you mustn't give too short a course as that will breed resistant bacteria.

Really the proper diagnosis of a snotty bunny involves a swab analysis - but most vets just prescribe baytril at first go, without doing a swab :?

Bunnies should have a 10-14 day course, even if the sneezing stops you should complete the course to stop it coming back :)

Tam

I would consult your Vet. Even though I have done it :oops: :oops: it is actually illegal for an unqualified person to administer a prescription medication to an animal for whom it was not prescribed. I have also AT LAST found a Vet who RARELY USES BAYTRIL :shock: :shock: as the first choice of treatment for snuffly Buns!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! Having spent MONTHS trying to get previous Vet to prescribe Trimethaprim/sulfamethoxazole (Septrin) :roll: :roll: I have at last found a Vet who is more up-to-date!! :D :D Also your Vet will be able to listen to your Buns chest to make sure that the infection is not on his lungs too. Jane and Buns xx

Thanks for all your responses :D I can't easily get him to the vets till Monday anyway so i'll continue with the baytril and if he's no better i'll take him again on Monday he's around the same size as Amy his weight fluctuates between 3.7 and 3.95kg so i gave him the same dose as Amy.

Is this something thats likely to keep reoccuring with them both?

If she's got pasteurella she can give it to your other buns too, although many buns test positive with no symptoms - It comes out when they are stressed like Jane says.

I thought rabbits were born with it and some have a better resistance to it than others.
Nutmeg is very sniffly and is having baytral
Petta sometimes have sneezing fits and I took her to the vets once about it and they said nothings wrong. (She's been like this since before Nutmeg)
Peter is fine.

bunnylove said:
is engemycin beter for respirotory problems, my vet doesnt give baytril for pasturella and such like!
Any antibiotic ending in 'ICIN' 'YCIN' is a penicillin type formulation. Not licensed for Rabbits...(not much is :roll: :roll: ) but more effective for treating Respiratory Tract Infections. Pasteurella is NO LONGER considered to be the only Bacteria causing respiratory disease hence Baytril is often not successful as a treatment. But as it is really the only systemic antibiotic licensed for rabbits many Vets only feel 'safe' prescribing it. The penicillins do carry a greater risk of Gut problems and should ONLY be given by injection. Jane and Buns xx

I havent heard either of them sneezing since yesterday morning so thats good! I feel terrible that I've put poor Fudge with a ' probably ' infected rabbit after all he's been through recently too! :(

Back