• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

News Re Myxomatosis Vaccinations

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
The Myxo vaccine is meant to be given part sub-cutaneously and part intra-dermally. Most vets do this in the scruff of a buns neck, pulling the syringe back a bit to do the intra-dermal bit. However, Frances Harcourt-Brown (Expert Bunny Vet) felt that not much vaccine was actually going intra-dermally using this method. So to find out she injected a deceased bunny with a coloured dye in the same way the Myxo vaccine would be given. She then took lots of tissue samples to see how much dye had gone intra-dermally. NON HAD!! :shock: :shock: So now FHB recommends the Myxo Vaccine be given in THREE places: the sud/cut bit in the scruff and the intradermal bit in the base of each ear (where the skin is thickest). Using this method should ensure that at least some of the Vaccine goes intra-dermally thus giving optimum chance of an adequate immune response. Jane and Buns xx

Oh my god!!!

That is very worrying considering all 3 vets i have seen do in on the scruff of the neck.

How come this is not common knowledge between vets considering Myxi is so fatal?!?

Will any of this info be going out to vets?
the first vet that vaccinated claude did some in the end of his ear and the rest in his scruff
every other vet has just done it in there scruffs

Alfie kennedy said:
Oh my god!!!

That is very worrying considering all 3 vets i have seen do in on the scruff of the neck.

How come this is not common knowledge between vets considering Myxi is so fatal?!?
Many Vets just dont keep up to date with recent research :roll: :roll: As I found with the Vets I USED to go to. Some dont even bother doing the intra-dermal bit at all :shock: :shock: Which was why I got my old Vets to let me give my Buns their Vaccinations myself. Saved having to find a way of telling them they were doing it WRONG :roll: :roll: Jane and Buns xx

My new vet is very young and has only been qualified for a couple of years - you would have thought he would know this considering he isn;t an old-fashioned vet!

When i take Alfie for his 6 monthly jab i will mention this to him and see what he says.

jane - you should really be a vet ya'know!

Alfie kennedy said:
My new vet is very young and has only been qualified for a couple of years - you would have thought he would know this considering he isn;t an old-fashioned vet!

When i take Alfie for his 6 monthly jab i will mention this to him and see what he says.

jane - you should really be a vet ya'know!
I got this info from our LOVELY new Vet who got it 'staight from the horses mouth'....ie from Frances H-B! As for me being a Vet :shock: :shock: .....OMG NO CHANCE !! I am much too thick.. :roll: :roll: Jane and Buns xx

I got this info from our LOVELY new Vet who got it 'staight from the horses mouth'....ie from Frances H-B! As for me being a Vet .....OMG NO CHANCE !! I am much too thick.. Jane and Buns xx

I reckon you know more than the average vet re rabbits (well certainly much more then my old vet!)

This is actually what is says in the instructions for the vaccine - I inject my own. Sadly I have done it the way the vet showed me rather than following the instructions in the past :( It is not always easy to visualise a method without actually seeing it, so I did the first few in front of the vet and she said it was right :roll:

doorkeeper said:
This is actually what is says in the instructions for the vaccine - I inject my own. Sadly I have done it the way the vet showed me rather than following the instructions in the past :( It is not always easy to visualise a method without actually seeing it, so I did the first few in front of the vet and she said it was right :roll:
(I like the name Little Feet Sanctuary'!! :wink: :wink: ) Jane and Buns xx

I had two of my bunnys jabs yesterday and they did in the scruff of the neck and in the ear,so phew thank goodness my vet knew.
I have to take the other 3 next week for theres(cant get them all on the bus at one time :roll: )

It has certainly been recommended that way for at least the last 2 years. Cristabel told us that a long while ago after doing a weekend course about small mammals. Many of the things that were discussed on this course she has taken in to consideration when they have made plans for extending the surgery.

Janice

This is what is on the houserabbit website which has been on their for at least a year now.

Special points about the myxi vaccine

Most vaccines are given entirely subcutaneously (under the skin), but the myxomatosis vaccine is different.

About a tenth of the dose has to be given intradermally - into the layers of the skin - for adequate immunity to be achieved. Some vets give it into the thicker skin at the base of the ear; others on the way in or out of the skin at the scruff of the neck. Although fiddly, the intradermal part of the injection is absolutely vital to stimulate an immune response in the skin, which is where the myxomatosis virus usually gains entry to the rabbit.

If I can find the manufacturers instructions on her I will do a thread to it.
Janice

I think the point FHB was trying to prove is that intradermal vaccination in the SCRUFF DOES NOT WORK. This is what she did in her experiment using dye and tissue sampling proved NO INTRADERMAL DYE. FHB felt the ONLY way to ensure adequate intradermal entry is to vaccinate the intradermal part into either one or BOTH ear bases. Christabel says she uses the three sites (scruff/base of both ears) as she feels this is likely to give the best chance of success. I think most Vets are aware of the need for partial intradermal vaccination but NOT the fact that doing it by just pulling back the syringe in the scruff is not efficacious. Jane and Buns xx

Jacob only vaccinated a couple of weeks ago and in scruff only. I thought it was discussed on here and concluded that the ear would hurt and not necessary. Is this only one vets findings or is this now gospel. Alot of worried bunny mums and dads now, how can we find out more and what do we do if not administered in the suggested manner?

Went to the vets today with my two and gave him this info, I was well impressed he actually new who FHB was :D

Im not so sure doing this kind of test on a dead rabbit would be conclusive. Surely with dead tissue and skin etc the test may be floored? Please enlighten me if im wrong. val :)

ours has always done it in the scruff, ill mention it next time but i doubt rosie will tolerate it in her ear

lisa

Back