• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hi there, new to this and after tips and advice please!

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Hello, I'm a total newbie to rabbit keeping, so much so that I don't have any rabbits yet :lol:
I would like to explain my plans to you all and get your opinions on them if thats ok??
Ok, buns first. Not totally decided yet but would like to get some rescue buns as they need me most. They also have the added bonus of possibly being spayed already and bonded too. I'd like a boy/girl pair if poss but not really set on it though, I'll see what is available at the time. Ideall they'd be small to medium size. I have aproblem with this though as I live in Orkney and the rescue centre here is stopping taking buns in as she's over-run with cats and dogs and can't cope with it all. Do you think centres in Inverness or aberdeen would be ok to let me take a pair of buns home in carriers? They'd be in the car and/or boat for a few hours...
Next, my hutch and run plans. My Dad has been persuaded to make it for me, he's a builder/joiner and a bit of a perfectionist so it should be a good one. The hutch will be approx 5ft wide by 2ft depth by 3ft high, does this sound ok?? The run will be approx 6ft long by 5ft wide by 3ft high. There or thereabout anyway. The base of the run will be concrete but i am planning on planting some grass boxes for the rabbits so they can have grass too.
How am I doing so far?? :?

Hi and welcome, it sounds like you have been doing a lot of good thinking. Most rescues will not have a problem with letting you take buns a distance in a pet carrier, ARC (Animal Rescue and Care) which which is based in Twickenham often has rabbits going off to new homes which are a distance away. As long as they are transported in a secure carrier with access to water and food and they should be fine, if they are going long distances they will require a stop to rest .... but then the driver will as well :D

The cage and run sounds ok, what might be worth thinking about is getting something which you can gain access to and actually be able to sit inside allowing you more contact with them whcih will hopefully mean you can bond easier with them, many people on here use sheds with a run attatched which means you can sit in it when it is cold or wet and it makes it easier for you to clean out.

Janice

good point

Thats a good point about it being too small to get into, I was imagining myself out there with them but didn't think about the size of the run/hutch, oops! i'll talk to Dad and see what he can do for me... :?

Hello there in Orkney!! I lived in Shetland for 5 years!! Is it a bit windy up there just now......just for a change!! :lol: :lol: Sounds like your Bunny plans are coming along really well. The hutch/run size sounds great for 2 rabbits and as your Dad is making it (well done Dad :thumb: ) you will be certain it is of good quaility. The grass boxes are a good idea too. When I was in Shetland I dont think I knew any-one who kept pet rabbits. Perhaps all that has changed now. Really hope you manage to locate a couple of Bunnies when you have all the accomodation etc sorted out. Do you ever get down to Aberdeen?? Maybe they have some local Rescue Centres. Doubt you'd have to pay to take Bunnies back across to Orkney on da pirie boat!! Welcome to the Forum. Everyone on here is bonkers....but we're all harmless enough!! Jane and Buns xx

jrn1310 said:
Most rescues will not have a problem with letting you take buns a distance in a pet carrier, ARC (Animal Rescue and Care) which which is based in Twickenham often has rabbits going off to new homes which are a distance away. As long as they are transported in a secure carrier with access to water and food and they should be fine, if they are going long distances they will require a stop to rest .... but then the driver will as well :D

Janice
Ermmm Janice, Orkney is an Island about 100 miles North of Aberdeen. One heck of a car drive/ferry crossing/flight from Twickers..... :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

I wasn't actually suggesting that any of our bunnies were looking to develope a nice thick winter coat for wearing on an island far away. On the other hand what are you doing in a few months coming, we could oragnise you to do a bunny run :lol:

I was just meaning that if we can transport bunnies a distance then there is no reason a Scottish bunnie cannot be rehomed with peediepixi.

We have had someone come from Yorkshire for a rabbit, I have someone who reguarly adopts long haired female piggies from me who lives near Cambridge. I have had enquiries last year from people who lived in North Wales, Dumfries and Italy who were looking to adopt a piggy. Donna refused to do the home checks for me, she tells me she is too busy :D :lol:

Janice

If the lady on Orkney's not rescuing rabbits any more, what's happening to unwanted rabbits on Orkney?

Thats what I am thinking too :? There's an RSPCA place i think but I'm really not sure.
As for Aberdeen, its so easy to get there, boat overnight, leave here at 12 at night, wake up in Aberdeen! You can get the same boat back, takes about 6 hours I think. I am personally not a great sailor so prefer to drive and get the boat from Scrabster. I am hoping to get a rescue bun from the Inverness type area.
Thanks for the links, not had a look yet but I'll go and do that now. :D

Back