• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Over weight bunny!!

The vet says my bunny is over weight,but hes always been a big fellow since i got him,how do you put a bunny on a diet??They have the best food and fresh vegs everyday,the problem is hes in with my female bunny and how can i ration the food with two in the hutch?
I cant seperate them as it took ages to bond them and I fear seperating them will make then not conpatable again,????Any advice welcome??

Is he bigger than your female bunny? You could separate their food into 2 portions and feed her portion inside a box or the other side of a temporary partition wall with a hole only small enough for her to get through to eat. They should be getting only around 50g of food each, each day, any more than that and they are likely to put on weight (as well as it being bad for their teeth because it discourages them from eating hay/grass). As long as they have unlimited hay/grass they should be fine with that. Or you could try putting their food into treat balls so they have to work harder for it (giving them both exercise and not allowing them to stuff it all down quickly).

I'd also have a think about the type of veggies you are feeding, and work out which ones are lower in calories - carrots for example are full of sugar and can be quite fattening.

Thirdly, more exercise! Give them as much time out exploring as possible, make the environment interesting and change it a bit each time (only takes a couple of cardboard boxes/things leant against walls etc) to encourage them to move around instead of sitting and lazing.

Good luck!

One fat and one normal sized or skinny bunny is always a difficult one to manage. My suggestions would be to give him pellets separately from her. Weigh out all other food and use treat balls to feed other pellets so they have to work for it. If she is hungry she will eat the hay and grass. Give them lots of time out in the run (or indoors) to burn off the excess weight which will be a lot easier to do in the summer.

Janice

My rabbits take about 10 minutes to eat all their pellets for the day, just a handful - I don't see why you can't take your girl out for 10 mins, give her her pellets, then put her back - But only deprive your boy of pellets if he eats hay, or he may starve. Conversely the less pellets you give him, the more hay he will eat - You could just give him a couple for a treat instead of more fattening treats.

Heres a piccy of Floppy i to be honest thought it was his breed!(dont no what that is)because hes always looked like this anyway.
They go in there run everyday for quite a few hours.

100_0823.jpg

100_0821.jpg

He looks fine to me - they always look porkier sat like that - It's when there's a tiny head on a big body that they are too fat, or if they have a belly when stretched out - Can he eat his poops OK?

The Vet's told me that truffy was over weight and that I should cut out the commercial rabbit food she was getting. She now has only veggies every morning and a small bit when I get back from work (otherwise you are not allowed back in the door!) and of course oodles of hay all day (I mix timothy hay and orchard grass in her wicker dustbin and she has normal hay in her litter tray) I also cut out all commercial rabbit teats (ie the chewy sticks you can get from the pet shops) and if I do treat her I just put a couple of raisins in her treatball. Truffy was never a big fan of hay (hence the fortune I have spent on bags of different hays to find one she likes!) but she merrily tucks in now and I think she is a much happier bunny for the changes I have made to her diet.

Back