• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Torn Ear?

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks,

My Angora x Ted has very thin ears and its always getting little scratches and nicks on them. This mainly seems to be caused by himself when he cleans his ears with his paws and over grooming by his friends. For this reason we try and keep all there claws trimmed regularly to stop them getting any sharp points.

He’s gone one further this time and he’s actually got a tear in the middle of his ear. It’s about 1-2cm long and I can see straight through it! No idea how he managed it. We’ve searched every inch of the cage for anything sharp but found nothing.

I’ve been applying Tea Tree cream on it to stop any infection. There was a small amount of blood when we first saw it but nothing now. He doesn’t appear to be in any pain as he’s eating, toileting and cleaning himself like normal.

It happened 3 days ago but doesn’t appear to be knitting together.

I’m wondering whether or not he is going to need a stitch in it or should I just leave it and see what happens?

May try some Comfrey cream on it today as it has good wound healing properties.

Louise

I would take him and have him looked at just in case, it would be better to get it sorted now rather than later. However I'm a worrier and I'm always up the vets :oops: :D

Hiya Louise

if there is no blood and the wound looks clean and it's not bothering him then leave it. My Jack has a slit right in the middle of one of his ears and it's fine. If you are worryed though have the vet have a look at it X

Hiya. :D The sides of the wound will have seeled now so to stitch it would require the healed edges to be re-opened by trimming the tissue back...hence a GA would be needed. If the wound is clean and dry and the ear does not look red or feel hot then it should be fine. Have you checked he doesn't have ear mites. They are likely to make a bun be a bit over-zealous in the ear scratching department :roll: :wink: :wink: . Jane and Buns xx

hi louise my boeing has a hole in here ear due to a scuff other a buck! :roll: :roll: and the holes dont nite together they just heal at the side. dont worry about it as long as no infection has got in which by the sounds of it it hasnt (clean and dry) forget it,
or you could buy one of those ear piece the goths use and see how big it gets :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys. :)

The wound site looks clean with no infection. Looks a little sore still but that's to be expected I suppose.

Jane, I think it’s highly unlikely he has ear mites. No funny smell, they look clean and they don’t appear to irritate him.

He lives with two girls so I imagine he did it when they had one of there mad dashes around the cage or he caught himself when grooming etc.

I’m at the Vets on Monday anyway so if it looks like its getting infected or giving him discomfort we will bring him along.

Louise

Hiya Louise, we had the exact same thing happen with Tilly Angora.
To avoid her having a GA, I decided (a week after the original discovery of large hole in middle of her ear) to try using micropore, and cutting a small strip to bond edges of inner ear skin together.
I did not think it would work after such a big gap between the tear appearing and my intervention, but after three weeks gap had vanished totally.
Micropore is great you only need a tiny piece and skin can regenerate with persistance.
The reason I tried this, even though Tilly did not have an infection etc, was that I was concerned she may catch her nail in her ear when grooming and tear area more :shock:
So I used micropore to protect her ear for a while, and hey presto :!: it knitted hole together perfectly too over time :wink: :D

Best wishes

Thanks for that tip Adele. :D

Will bear that in mind. Had a quick peak this morning and it appears to have scabbed over which is a surprise but good news! :)

Louise

Back