• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could chewing wallpaper give Honey a mouth ulcer?

bunnygran

Warren Scout
Honey has ongoing dental problems and has her back teeth ground down every 8 wks or so. This week, she was going off her food and dribbling so I thought it was her teeth problem starting early as it is only a month since she was last done. I got her straight into the vets expecting that it would be her teeth, but the vet rang to say that Honey has a big ulcer on her tongue and also some eczema or dermatitis around her chin and whiskers. She isn't sure what is going on with her.

Honey has some Baytril and this morning has eaten and seems fairly OK. I was wondering whether ripping wallpaper off and eating the paper could have caused her problems? Maybe something in the wallpaper paste? Has anyone else experienced this with their bunnies?

sounds weird,but maybe she got a paper cut on her tounge? or maybe her teeth had been irritating her mouth and the vet missed it last time? I hope someone here will be able to help you more, I'm not sure what would cause the ezema, maybe some sort of allergy. Hope she will be ok.

Did you put the paper up? Can you remember what paste you used (any left in the shed)? Maybe visit a DIY store and have a look at the ingredients see if anything stands out. I guess it's possible :?

This paper was on in the bedroom when we bought the house. It has been on the wall for at least 15 years we think. The only reason why I have let her rip the paper is because we are having alterations to the house and the room is going to be redecorated.

If the wallpaper isn't the culprit, do rabbits get mouth ulcers and eczema? Has any one else got a rabbit who suffers from either of these conditions?

I guess the eczema could be from dribbling because of the ulcer? I'm nnot sure it's a little weird...

Yes, I know, the vet wasn't sure what to make of it. She seems OK now though, she is fighting to get her share of the food like usual. So, hopefully she will be alright. I just wondered if anyone else had experience of anything like this.

bunnygran said:
This paper was on in the bedroom when we bought the house. It has been on the wall for at least 15 years we think. The only reason why I have let her rip the paper is because we are having alterations to the house and the room is going to be redecorated.

If the wallpaper isn't the culprit, do rabbits get mouth ulcers and eczema? Has any one else got a rabbit who suffers from either of these conditions?

can't answer your question but bump completely stripped the hall wallpaper and she was fine - although she did have a bout of cystitus (sp) which may or may not have been related.

hope you find the answer soon.

Back