• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Albert...again.

melaniejb

Mama Doe
I'm not sure if I'm worrying about nothing but recently Albert's (neutered) toilet habbits are concerning me! For the past few days Albert has been having wee accidents when he has been very good about weeing in the litter tray in the past. I decided that he was just marking his territory (as he wasn't doing it in the hutch or on the normal floor - just on towels I put out for the buns).

However, he's still doing it although it has got better but he does do it in his hutch and on the normal floor now. It's quite smelly wee too.

Anyway, I noticed that this morning his poos are not hard! They are usually hard little balls but today when I was moppin up some wee I noticed that they were squishy.

The thing is, he seems fine in himself, he eats LOADS of hay and certainly hasn't stopped eating! I was thinking about trying some probiotics...what do you think? Also if you think that might be worth a try, can you reccommend any to me and are they safe to feed to a 'well' bunny too???

Any advise much appreciated!

Melanie

Hiya! :D Albert may have a wee infection so it is a good idea to get him checked out by the Vet. Take a sample of his wee with you so the Vet can test it. With the 'squishy poops' are they un-eaten caecotrophs that have gone squidgey in the wee....Sorry, a bit gross!! You can give probiotics to 'well rabbits' although they are not proven to be of benefit. You can obtain them from your Vet or from Vetark Professional (it is called Avipro-Plus). http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/ Any change in a buns GI function or wee habits needs to be checked out just to ensure that there is not a bacterial element to the problem. Jane and Buns xx

Thanks for your reply Jane, the poos are not the caecotroph kind, they are the normal 'rabbit bumbles' (as my mum calls them!!) but they are not as hard as usual...without being too gross!!

I think we will take him to the vets as he used to be sooo good about weeing in his litter tray. I was asking about the probiotics for a healthy bun as the water Albert drinks is shared with Poppy! I'll take them to the vets and see what he thinks about getting probiotics for Albs.

Thanks for your advise! :)

Worried about Albert...again - UPDATE

Just got back from the vets where we spent 45 minutes! My poor Alby is not a well boy :(

I mentioned the few worries that I have, mainly about his wee and the fact that I thought that he was a bit skinny.

I tried to get a urine sample but it went every where and i had to suck it up bit by bit and eventualy got 0.4ml in a syringe! Anyway, the vet then said that it would be a waste of money to do tests on that wee as it may have bacteria from the surface of where we took the sample!

She then looked at his weight and told us that on a scale of 1 to 5 - 1 being emmaciated and 5 being obese, she thought Albert was 2!!!! I nearly cried! She had a look in his mouth and apparently one of his back teeth is ever so slightly over grown. Poor baby! Luckily he doesn't have any ulcerations os it can't be too bad. I'm so upset about it, I thought he was slim but didn't realise how bad it was - I've even been laughing at his 'flabby' (ie lots of excess skin) bottom! I can't tell you how guilty I feel now.

He has to go in for xrays and hopefully the teeth op on monday unless he detreriorates. I'm so worried, my poor poor poor baby. :cry:

Back