• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing

skippy

Young Bun
Hi everyone, our Rex rabbit has just started to sneeze quite often, after having a quick search on the forum, and reading about the link with pasteurella I am a little concerned.
Apart from the sneezes there is no apparent discharge from his nose and he seems quite lively and is eating and drinking ok.
Should I be looking for an allergy or should we take him to the vet straight away for his diagnosis?
Thanks.

I've had serious continuous sneezing problems from Daisy for the last 24 hours too. Off to the vet we go this week! I've heard her sneeze before, but not often at all, with absolutely no other symptoms and she used to go weeks without sneezing. Now it's all the time...She sometimes makes odd little coughing/squeaking noises too. I hope it's not an upper respiratory pasteurella thing :( .

Amy's been sneezing alot too, and fudge occasionally. I took her to the vet yesterday and she said just keep an eye on it and bring her back if you notice any discharge :? Apart from the sneezing she's been fine and lively!

i caught quinn sneezing a few days ago too but the vet checked him over and said hes ok just keep an eye on it

Thanks for the info, we took him to the vets today who checked him over and has given us a course of baytril for the next 10 days. this is to be given orally which sounds far from easy any tips on how to get him to take his meds without too much fuss?

I find it easiest to kneel on the floor behind the bunny so it cant escape backwards. Lean over hold the bunnies face with one hand and slip the syringe in behind the front teeth with the other. Someone also suggested putting it on a cabbage leaf only mine didn't go for that idea!!

Smudge has just had a few sneezes too. Shall keep my eye on him. He lively and eating plenty and drinking lots.
I'm just wondering if it could be caused by the lemon tree I have in here. It has come into flower and the smell is quite strong (irritating my nose a bit).

hurrah, the lettuce leaf method worked a treat, he was not so keen on having the syringe anywere near him. Thanks for the info!

Hi

i have been treating Mischa for sneezing for the last month now. she started off sneezing but no discharge and then she had a bad bout of discharge. she began with baytril in her water which didn't do much as i am sure she sussed there was something in the water! the vet then changed it to marbocyl and had her tested for pasteurella and other things. it came back positive and although the discharge is nearly non existant she is still have small sneezing fits so next week she is going to get her ducts flushed!
you are probably wise to go to the vet as at first we thought it may have been an allergy. apart from the sneezing Mischa is a lively bun and loves digging in the garden!
hope this info helps!

Back