• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bit small?

touie

Wise Old Thumper
just had Amy weighed at the vets today, she sat perfectly still and weighed in at 3.85kg. She is supposed to be a 6 month old french lop, does that seem a bit small for her breed? :?

Yes, that does. Does she feel skinny or is she the right build? If you do not think that she is underweight then she is possibly a German lop, they are the second biggest "common" lop breed. Do you have a picture?

touie said:
just had Amy weighed at the vets today, she sat perfectly still and weighed in at 3.85kg. She is supposed to be a 6 month old french lop, does that seem a bit small for her breed? :?

maybe she is a french lop cross, my frenchie x is a 4.85 kg thats what makes me think mine is a cross as the standard at the brc is minuim 5kg (mine is 7 months old by the way!

BlackCat said:
Yes, that does. Does she feel skinny or is she the right build? If you do not think that she is underweight then she is possibly a German lop, they are the second biggest "common" lop breed. Do you have a picture?

my adult german is 3.2 kg.

:? My Storm ( frech lop) is around 5 months and only weighs £3 kg, maybe he and amy just have some growing to do. I know they do all their growing first and fill out later, but I've never had a french lop to compare sizes. I know some end up really big, maybe they take a while to grow compared to other breeds :?
Maybe as long as they are eating and seem well in their selves and not skinny we shouldn't worry about our frenchies. I do wonder if storm will ever grow into those huge feet of his though! :lol:

she doesn't seem skinny (bigish dewlap!) although she has lost a little weight but i've changed her diet and she's getting more exercise now! :?

here's couple of pics
jan06027.jpg

jan06026.jpg

She looks OK, lovely shiny fur :D Storm looks a bit slimmer than Amy, he has long legs and big feet! :lol: but eats like a little piglet. I will weigh him in a few weeks to see if he's putting on weight.
Does Amy like her new diet? what do you feed her? I feed both of mine ss. storm used to have russel junior, but now he just has that as a treat in his treat ball as he only picked out the soft bits :? didn't want a bun with teeth or weight problems.

I feed her ss now, fresh veg and lots of hay and she's free range in the house during the day :D before she was on a musli mix no veg (I'm guessing because it gave her a bad tum to start with!) and shut in a cage most of the time!!!

may be she's a german x frenchie then :? they had some german lops where i got her from too! :?

touie said:
may be she's a german x frenchie then :? they had some german lops where i got her from too! :?

thats possible! :D and ses gorgeous so what des it matter what breed she is!

was just trying to work out whether she's full grown or if she's got more growing to do as she keeps squashing her boyfriend! :lol:

Back