• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Duke

anon101

Banned
I write with heavy heart to tell you that Duke our beautiful blue foster boy was put to sleep on Sunday afternoon due to extensive trauma to the spine resulting in a broken back.

I feel incredibly guilty as I was holding him when it happened. I was giving him a groom/trim when he started struggling. I tried to restrain him without hurting him but he managed to jump off my lap where he landed on the floor at a funny angle on his back. I’m still in shock as to how he actually did it as it happened so quickly.

It was immediately apparent that he had paralysed himself from the waist down. We took him straight to the emergency Vets who made the diagnosis above and recommend euthanasia, as there was nothing they could do for him and he would have had a very poor quality of life, which would rapidly deteriorate.

Duke was obviously in extreme shock at this point but the Vet assured me he felt no pain. Both Steve and myself stayed with him, stroked and talked to him while the vet carried out the procedure.

We are devastated.

I want to say a big thank-you to Adele who has been a tower of strength these last two days and has been extremely kind and understanding.

Run-free over the rainbow bridge Duke and thank-you for the joy and laughter you brought us while you were with us. I’m so sorry you couldn’t spend longer with us.

You will be remembered in our hearts for your fantastic bouncy loveable personality and that gorgeous innocent looking face of yours.

All our love,

Louise & Steve

:cry: :cry: :cry: Darling Duke, so sorry we never got an opportunity to meet, we were so looking forward to having you come and stay at the Sanctuary.
Mummy Louise and Daddy Steve cared for you brilliantly, and really brought you out of your shell. You had such a happy time with them, and you could not have failed to know you were an adored bunny with all the unconditional love bestowed upon you.
I know you would want me to thank Louise and Steve for making some happy memories with you, and making you feel so special :)

As i said earlier, it is not how long a star shines for that counts, but how brightly.
Duke you were the brightest star, and will shine on radiantly in all our hearts forever.
You will be missed each and every day by Louise, Steve, myself, and Michele who very kindly offered to sponsor you.

Rest in peace beautiful little Duke, and we will meet one day, when I take the trip to Heaven myself.
All our love to Louise and Steve too, who have had this dreadfully upsetting experience, and please do not feel guilty any longer, accidents happen, it is a sad part of life.

Big hugs
XXX

Oh I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I have no words that will relieve your grief but am thinking of you. Binky free at The Bridge Duke. Jane and Buns xx

Louise and Steve, I can imagine how devastated and sad you must be feeling but you MUST NOT blame yourselves in any way. There but for the grace of God goes any one of our bunnies, it is one of the vagaries of bunny life, tragic but unavoidable.

My own lovely vet told me towards the end of last year that their family rabbit must have thumped too hard in the night and broke his back. :cry: As he said, had he broken his leg, there would have been no expense spared to get him on the road to recovery but with a spinal injury there really was no hope.......as luck would have it, he had gone to let the rabbit out that morning not his young son. I am sure the whole family were devastated but it was outside of anyone's control just as it was with Duke.

Run free Duke in the lush grass in the meadows of the Rainbow....

Oh I'm so sorry to hear of this, run free at the Bridge Duke, Pippa my gorgeous girlie will be up there to show you around.

It is so devastating to lose a much loved bunny, no matter how long or short you have had them. My pain is still so raw, we all know how you feel, take care and please don't blame yourselves.

Nicola xx

Accidents are terrible things but there's nothing you can do about it. You did the best thing in taking him to the vet so he wouldn't suffer.

Binky free Duke x

Oh I feel for you Louise, I really do - what a terrible thing to have to go through :cry: :cry: :cry: I think that must be every bun-parents nightmare :cry: :cry: :cry:
You did all you could and none of it was your fault - it was an accident and these things happen - no-one could have stopped it :cry: :cry:

Run free in the eternal sunshine now Duke - have fun hiding in the lush grass and dozing under the swaying trees - xxxxxxxxx

Sorry to hear this. You must be devastated.
Binky free Duke.
Hugs to you Louise.

Louise, I am so very sad for you. What a shocking thing to happen and it is something that could happen to any of us who regularly handle bunnies. Accidents do happen and you must not feel you were to blame.

Binky free Duke with all the spirit buns.

Louise and Steve you took him until Adele could take him.
You took him in when Adele had a full house and sick Buns.
Adn got his coat better even though he loked a bit ragged after his tidy up. But he was a handsome lvoely boy, made all the more handsome under your loving care.

I sort of feel guilty too, but I knew he was loving being witrh you waiting to come to Mummy Adele. I was waiting to complete on my house before I had any money to officially sponsor him and it took forever.

You looked after him and loved him as though he was a forever Bunny and not a foster Bunny, unitl he could be got to Adele's, and this has been a terribly sad accident.
I never got to meet the Bunny I was going to sponsor but all I know is that he was well loved and superbly cared for by you.
Thank you, Louise and Steve.
I cried yes when Adele told me, but thankfully it was quick.

And in my heart I know that is that he is happy at The Bridge, binkying free in the sunny meadows with Melissa and Scoot and Mr Thump, Pippa, Darcy, Treacle, Baillie the doggie, and all the other loved Buns and others that we have lost recently.
We all feel the loss with you. Well I do.

And he is now saying "Mummy Lousie please do not feel bad.
It was silly me who wriggled.
You gave me lots of love and Daddy Steve too when I needed it.
You were wonderful foster parents for me, the best care and love I had ever had, and you treated me like one of your own forever Bunnies and it was obvuioiusly never meant to be to go to live with Mummy Adele and Daddy David. I love you and I miss you Mummy Louise and Daddy Steve, but it is nice here and I do not hurt anymore. Please do not cry for me. Instead remember all the good times you gave me, and the silly things I did and made you laugh. All the other Bun's are here helping me settle in, and I shall soom make lots of pals and wait for either you or Mummy Adele to come and get me when it is the right time."

I really feel for you both Louise.

It was a tragic accident and nothing could have prevented it.

Run free Duke xx

:cry: :cry:

Oh i`m so sorry to hear of Duke`s tragic accident, but that`s what it was `an accident` and you must not blame yourself, as others have said it could happen to anyone of us.
Thinking of you at this sad time and sending big hugs.
Bimky free little Duke...........................................

Su.x

OMG, Louise & Steve I am so sorry to here the news of Duke but you must always remember that he had such a happy time with you while he was waiting to go to Adele's. Accidents happen and this was not your fault.
After meeting the pair of you the other week I could not think of better parents or foster parents for buns to be with. Please don't blame yourself as their really wasn't anything you could have done.
Take care
Love
Kayxx

Back