• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i need help again please!!

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
hey guys... after a couple of days of my two rabbits fighting and with the advice of you fabulous people i booked jessica in for a spey this morning as her hormones may have been the main reason she was fighting with molly (who is a boy)...

After a trip to the vets shes home now (but with a dislocated toe when the vet pulled her out of her pet carrier :cry: ) shes home now and seems to be doing well shes eating which is good even though her toe is at a 90 o angle... :cry:

Iv put her in a separate hutch to molly, its a lot smaller and cosier than her normal house but im a bit worried that molly is depressed and grumpy..just wondering if its ok to separate them as he can chase her sometimes and i dont want her running on her toe and just after her operation...i do worry!

just wondering how long i should keep them separate for?? they are facing each other...???

Thank you! x

I cant believe the vet dislocated your rabbits toe, I'm disgusted :evil:

When Lavender was spay she had cage rest until her wound had completely healed, the boys were just allowed to sniff at her through the bars. There were no problems when they all went back in together.

Rabswood

I know but she was a real struggle to get out she wouldnt budge so it got caught on the pet carrier. She seems ok now shes not limping or anything. So how long does it take for her wound to heal?

x

Have you got a 3 day checkup at the vets? I'd see how the wound is doing then before making any decisions of when to reunite them. It also depends on quite how frisky the little fella is, as he could damage her if he tries to hump her. I think you'll just have to make a judgement based on how well she is, whether he tries to hump her, and whether putting them together makes her want to run around and jump in/on things a lot.

To avoid a recurrence with the pet carrier, I'd suggest investing in a top opening carrier - makes life far easier with bunnies (but not with cats, I discovered, as their 4 long limbs enable them to grasp each side to prevent you getting them in :lol: )

I think you have to keep them separate as if he did hump her it could really hurt her :( Ask the vet when you take her back for her check up how long she needs to recover before they can go back together. If they are close together they should still be bonded.

I can't believe the vet dislocated her toe either! :shock: I didn't even try to get Amy out the box today or put her on the table because she is a nightmare! I took the carrier apart and the vet checked her over in the carrier on the floor! :lol:

I agree with top opening carriers!. I can't believe your vet! hurting your poor rabbits toe! :shock: :x I would have been so mad!

touie said:
I can't believe the vet dislocated her toe either! :shock:

likewise. I won't use that vet ever again, and I would sue, not for the money, but as a wake up call to that vet so he/she would be a lot more careful w/ other animals in the future

Back