• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Californian Silks

elaine

Mama Doe
Can anyone tell me what californian silks are as I have been asked to take some females in and havn't got a clue what they are.

the guy has 1 white and 1 redish coloured one

he also has another 3 to come in but I think they are mixed breeds
he is yet another person on the list to come in

bunnylove said:
arent californians another name for hymi's?
Ive just looked in one of my books which said they are rabbits of the same markings as hymis but shouldnt be confused as they are twice the size,from what i can gather there a large breed rabbit which along with nz whites are bred for the meat industry :(

In the early 1920s, rabbit breeders in the United States crossed New Zealand whites, Himalayans and chinchillas to finally produce the Californian rabbit. The purpose of this breed was to have a good meat breed that also had good fur. The breed did not become popular for at least 15 years after development. Today, the Californian is the second most popular meat-producing breed in the world. The fur quality allows this rabbit to also be classified as a fancy breed.

Appearance

The Californian rabbit has erect ears and is moderate in size, weighing around 7 to 10 pounds (3.5 to 4.75 kilograms). The original coloration of this breed was very similar to the Himalayan. With a predominantly white body and black on the feet, nose, ears and tail, this color pattern is called normal today. The Californian rabbit is now available in chocolate, blue and lilac, all developed in Great Britain.

Hope this will help you.

Janice

bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
arent californians another name for hymi's?
Ive just looked in one of my books which said they are rabbits of the same markings as hymis but shouldnt be confused as they are twice the size,from what i can gather there a large breed rabbit which along with nz whites are bred for the meat industry :(

was a half good guess then! :D

Back