• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Claw Clipping

ladystardust

Alpha Buck
Ok .. I'm new to this so becareful with me! :eek:

I'm thinking of claw clipping my bunnies myself, would you recommend it or would you suggest a novice should first of all see a vetinary nurse to get advice and watch?

Also .. this the worst qu .. cats and rabbits have different kinds of claws right? So you can't use cat claws on a rabbit can you? :roll: Cats claws have shells to them right?

I know there was a lot of contreversy in a recent post. No I haven't btw :D

I just plucked up courage to cut Tia's nails at the weekend - I used the scissor type clippers rather than guillotine ones as they were easier to hold - I've never even handled my rabbits much - I don't pick them up and they are all adult rescues - only had them a few months :shock:

Anyway - I put a leather gardening glove on the left hand which I held her with, as she'd bitten me once before - I would recommend you practise getting your rabbit into a good position for clipping, before you actually use the clippers! You should have seen me :shock: :? :lol:

This won't happen to you, but one of Tia's claws snapped off at the root - I guess it was weakened as before she was rescued they were left badly overgrown...Anyway - I was shaking like a leaf after that - blood everywhere and me a total novice!

Other than that it was very easy to cut them - they were softer than my guinea pigs nails - but watch your eyes for shrapnel! It's best to just cut a few mm off, once a week, than to cut off a lot in one go, as the quick can be hard to see. I just snipped the ends off them all.

I took rosie to the vets this weekend and i took quinn along so they could show me how 2 clip his nails so i feel a bit more confident now - she advised that if its possible get someone to hold bunny while you do it - quinn was an angel for her though and just sat there - rosie on the other hand was absolutely petrified at the vets so i didnt dare ask them to look at hers as she was flying all over the place

I would def second using scissor type clippers and not guillotine types ones as they are way easier, also if you are unsure of where the quick is get a friend to hold a really bright light behind the nail and you can see it very clearly.

Just take a bit off at a time and always reward your bun afterwards ours now have a mini strop if they don't get a grape or something after :roll: :lol: :lol:

I think Tia was just happy to be alive
:lol: :lol: I think Fern was after the second time we did it, we managed to nick her nail :shock: , and boy did it bleed (all over my silk cushions, I no longer do this on my couch :lol: :lol: :lol: )

When I had the bunnies nails clipped you need two people one to hold the bunnie like a baby up right,and the other person to clip the nails the sissor clippers are the best, :)

Lanny said:
I think Tia was just happy to be alive
:lol: :lol: I think Fern was after the second time we did it, we managed to nick her nail :shock: , and boy did it bleed (all over my silk cushions, I no longer do this on my couch :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I think they did that to Flopsy the first time round :eek:

The vet was a vet and not a trainee nurse either ;)

twilightpagan said:
When I had the bunnies nails clipped you need two people one to hold the bunnie like a baby up right,and the other person to clip the nails the sissor clippers are the best, :)

Yeah I can imagine those hind legs are pretty lethal :eek: :roll: :lol:

How often do you all clip your rabbits nails? We've had our for just over 2 months and they need doing now really, I think we'll go to the vets for our to be done...unless anyone experienced lives near us????? Any volunteers??????!!!!!! :wink:

I actually cut two hundred nails on he weekend :shock: , I cut one too far back. Poor Bramble, her foot bleed a little, but she was fine after a few minutes.

I use scissor clippers, I ge my boyf to hold he bunster and try and cut just after the quick finishes. I struggled a little with darker nail bunnies, but if you look underneath he nail, it's hollow so I cut up to the point where the hollowness stops.

Tia's only a nethie luckily - don't think I'll manage Maa's nails singlehanded as she's gigantic - but she's very well behaved at the vets, so that's where she'll go :)

The outside bunnies wear theirs down as they are on concrete not grass.

When I did Tia I knelt on the floor, held her firmly on my lap to subdue her - she was fighting like a maniac :shock: Then once she was still, I flipped her halfway onto her back sort of, so she was laying on my lap with her head against my chest, my left hand under her chest holding her front paws, and her back paws sticking up on my lap - snip snip snip :shock:

I use heavy duty nail clipper (just a large nail clipper vs. regular size).

If her nail is clear (like human nail) put it under the sun, look at the blood line at the center, clip beyond that. Do not clip near the blood line.

IF her nail is black and you can't see thru, just clip 1mm every 3 weeks.

Back