• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dentals

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
As Alfie wont eat hay,now has dental probs,is having to have dentals every 3 months, is there a chance,because of the anisthectic risk,its not going to be good for him,to keep having to have a GA so often?
I dont know what to do to help him?
But im getting the feeling ive been here before,and it wasnt good news :(

why wont he eat hay marie? i would have thought that havin regualr ga will eventually take its toll :cry: :cry:

have you tried just a hay and water diet to get him eating it, did not think a bunny would stave itsself if they was only hay and no concentrate!!

Would it not be better to have the teeth out so he didn't have to have dentals so often, that is of course if it is an option.

I dont know why,bunnybasics were really kind and sent a sample of all there hays he didnt touch any :(
Ive tried just giving him hay,he will starve himself im afraid

bluebunny said:
I dont know why,bunnybasics were really kind and sent a sample of all there hays he didnt touch any :(
Ive tried just giving him hay,he will starve himself im afraid

hope you dont mind me asking but how long did you try him without concentrate? is it is molars?

Well about 3 days as i couldnt watch him waste away,its his top back teeth that grow,but there all misalined

Have you tried alfalfa hay? Or even the hay cakes? I know the hay cakes are hard, but might they require a different eating action, that he doesn't find so troublesome?

Rallybunny said:
Have you tried alfalfa hay? Or even the hay cakes? I know the hay cakes are hard, but might they require a different eating action, that he doesn't find so troublesome?
Yep!
there were loads of sorts of hay.and hay cakes alfalfa blocks,he wont touch any

Marie I think you need to be a bit sterner and try just hay and water :D Or there is the vet I told you about that does dentals without GA.....?

Re: ,

honeybunny said:
Marie I think you need to be a bit sterner and try just hay and water :D Or there is the vet I told you about that does dentals without GA.....?[/quote
I cant though jill, it might cause him more problems as he poo got really small,yes might have to look into that

I thought Rowan couldn't eat hay because of his teeth being in such a bad state. But yesterday he had hay stuck in his mouth, so he must be trying. But the fact that it got stuck may mean his teeth need doing again already :cry: It isn't even a month since the last time :cry:

Back