• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bun with a grass box...

I was planning on getting some grass seeds and soil and and 4 extra litter trays to make a grass box thingy. I'm making 2 so that I can swap them around to get some sun and grow back etc. There would be 2 trays on the bottom (1 the right way up and one upside down on top) to hold extra fluids, I'd put holes in the bottom of the one holding grass and then matchings holes in the one upside down for drainage and swap the top 2 around. I have some questions before I go out and buy things...

1. What soil, is normal organic soil fine, is there anything I should look for on the bag to make sure it does/doesn't have in it?

2. What grass?

3. If he starts using it as a litter tray (which he most probably will) will the urine and poos be too much for the grass and will it die? He will still have is normal litter tray so the grass wont cop it all...???????

I tried this myself as my outdoor rabbits run is on slabs so I bought a large green tray and dug up a slab of grass and put it in the tray inside the run.
The two rabbits had eaten all the grass in one morning! They also trampled all over the baby grass trying to grow and pooed and weed all over it! :roll: I think I would be more inclined to grow lots of small pots of grass so they can't sit on it. I think organic soil would be fine and any garden grass is OK.

It would be awful if he knocked over the whole pot, thats why i was leaning towards a tray but I spose with all the soil and a thick plastic pot it would be heavy enough for him to not knock it over. Did the wees and po0s kill the grass?

:D I tried this one.... the buns ignored the grass, would sit and poop and pee on it stopping it from growing, they eventually figured they could dig in it, made such a mess that I took it off them :roll: :roll: seemed like a good idea at the time!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

They ate it all and it never got a chance to grow back. A ceramic pot will be heavy so they won't be able to knock it over. I have a big round terracota pot that is quite low. I got it with a kit for growing wheatgrass. My OH wanted to juice the wheatgrass but it was so disgusting we let the rabbits eat it! :lol:

I tried this one.... the buns ignored the grass, would sit and poop and pee on it stopping it from growing, they eventually figured they could dig in it, made such a mess that I took it off them Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes seemed like a good idea at the time!!!

ooh...I like the idea of him being able to dig, I don't mind if he makes a mess, I have a dog kennel attached to his cage where I put all the messy stuff so once a week I detched the kennel and get the dishes out and then shake the kennel outside.

I will still give it a shot, it wont cost that much and i like the idea of growing it myself.

Back