• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drops of blood in female bun's cage. What could it be?

Middy

Warren Scout
Hi all,

My first post, and a slightly worrying one!

My six-month-old rex female house bunny is generally in good health - she eats, sleeps, plays and is behaving normally. But in the last two weeks, we've noticed a few drops of blood here and there. Some in her cage, some on the carpet... We assumed that she had hurt herself on something in the room, but the fact that it has happened again today, is worrying me.

There are only a few drops of blood... but it is weird. She is too young to have developed uterine probs, isn't she? She seems to be peeing and pooing OK.

Any advice? Do rabbits bleed when on heat?!

Thanks v much
Middy

To answer your second question, rabbits do not bleed during heat. infact they don't go in heat. Rabbits have induced ovulation meaning the female doesn't release eggs from her ovaries until she has mated. That is why buns are so good at reproducing. About the bleeding, she could have sore hocks, rexes are more prone to this condition than other breeds.

Best wishes!

As Aspen'n'company say's bunny's don't bleed. Hocks is a good suggestion especially as it's happened more than once breaking a nail is another.

The hocks are the bottom of the feet, these are usually protected by fur but this is very thin in rexes so they can get sore's on the bottom.

Rabbit's bleed a lot if they catch a nail and rip it off.

So if you have a good look at her feet and see if you can spot anything then we can give you some more advice on helping stop it again :)

Tam

Drops of Blood!

Hi Middy,

I too, think that he may be sore hocks. I've had similar problems with one of my Rex bunnies. He was a rescue bunny and suffered from sore hocks, so I put fleece blankets in the bottom of his hutch and run and this solved the problem!

In fact, he loves his fleeces! I often find him snuggled into it, snoring loudly!!

Hope this helps.

Carol

Are you absolutely sure it is blood? Rabbits wee can vary in colour from almost clear through to a orangey/brown which is often mistaken for blood. I would take your Bun along to the Vets with a sample of Buns wee just to be on the safe side. Jane and Buns xx

Thanks everyone! Actually, yep... she has got sore hocks, so I think we may have found a solution. She is due for a trip to the vet to have her claws clipped (she won't stay still for us to do it), so I will have her examined as a precaution.

Will also find a fleece blanket.

Many thanks again
Middy x

Sore Hocks!

Hi Middy,

Sore hocks can easily be treated with Sudocrem which can be bought from your local chemist.

An easy way to apply Sudocream to a rabbit's hocks is to sit on a chair and gently lift your rabbit into a kind of "nursing position" so she's laid on her back. Settle her down and then gradually within a couple of minutes you'll notice that her head starts to relax (they kind of go into a trance) in this position and it relaxes your bunny. Then, if you can get someone else in the family or a friend, to gently put Sudocrem on to her hocks. You should notice a difference quite quickly.

Carol xx

Middy said:
Thanks everyone! Actually, yep... she has got sore hocks, so I think we may have found a solution. She is due for a trip to the vet to have her claws clipped (she won't stay still for us to do it), so I will have her examined as a precaution.

Will also find a fleece blanket.

Many thanks again
Middy x

How do they end up with sore hocks? I know my cat had them the other week .. but cats get into the smallest of spaces etc

Most of my rabbits are Rex breed, so they have very short guard hairs, so their coats feel like velvet! Because their hocks have this "velvet" covering too, it wears away very easily just by hopping around in their hutches or runs. I always put an extra layer of soft shavings down and lots of soft hay and even fleeces in their hutches and runs to prevent this soft velvet covering from rubbing off their feet and causing red, sore wounds on their hocks. My Rex bunnies which I've had since babies have perfect feet, because I've always taken extra care with their hocks. However, my Rex bunnies I've adopted from Rescues have quite often had sore hocks, this being because their previous owners prior to them arriving in Rescue Homes, had not taken proper care of their hocks - probably due to ignorance about this particular breed.

Personally, this is why I think rabbits should not be sold in pet shops. Staff usually know very little, or even nothing about rabbits or breed requirements.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

Carol

Back