• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

runny nose

little treasure

Young Bun
Hi all,

one of our eldest outdoor buns (Willow) hadn't realy touched his food saturday evening,dad checked him over and it looked like his chin was a little damp so we thought it coulde be his teeth again.

He had his back teeth done just before christmas for the first time in 6 1/2 years,so we thought this could be the problem again.

Dad grated his food up this morning and he wouldn't touch it, but noticed his nose was all blocked up with a white discharge,and looked to be struggling to breath freely :(

We have brought him inside for the evening,he's got a hot water bottle in his indoor hutch,and we keep wiping his nose fo him,but dad main concern is that he's not real touched any food today,apart from a little chopped celery.

Should we try and give him some recovery food for the night,I don't want to distress him any more. :( we still havee some baytrill left over from the last rabbit visit to the vets. would this be any good :?:

I have searched through the snuffle threads,just so dads all informed when he takes willow to the vets tomorrow...

I was just wondering what we could do /give him just to make his night a little better...

It's the first time any of our buns have had this problem.

Willow live in a large run on his own,but 4 more buns live the other side of the wire,if willows nose clears up, depending on what the vet finds tomorrow,should this living arangement be ok for the future.

I wouldn't want any of the other buns to catch anything..

:love: Samantha

Aww, poor bunny. I would put the baytril in the bin if I were you as it only has a short shelf life, and probably wouldn't help your bun short term.
Probably getting some food in him is important at the moment, and some fluids. Is there any way you can get him to the vets today?
Someone recommended to me a bowl of hot water with a drop of Albos oil in it to help the breathing. Make sure it's well away from bunny though.
Sending lots of gentle snuggles to Willow.

Back