• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding Advice for Two Poorly Buns Please.

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Bernie and Ned both have a nasty upper respiratory tract infection.It is actually in their throat rather than their 'doses' and so far their lungs are clear. They are both on Baytril,Anti-inflammatories and probiotics. They are eating their hay/veggies very well and are bright within themselves but they have both stopped eating their Excel Pellets. However I (maybe stupidly :roll: ) offered them a TINY portion of a bulk standard Pet Shop cereal mix (Muirne, my almost toothless bun, will only eat this :roll: ) and Bernie and Ned pigged it down like they were starving :shock: I had thought they were not eating the Excel cos they had sore throats and fresh Veggies went down easier :? :? But given the speed that they ate the Cereal Mix that theory seems unlikely. Sooooo do I let them have the Cereal Mix given that it took my MONTHS to get them off it and onto Excel a couple of years ago. I really dont want them to be on Cereal Mix indefinately cos it is 'junk food'. Do you think the hay/veggies (they are good hay eaters) alone will be OK given the fact they are poorly?? If they hadn't appeared so bloomin' hungry when I gave them the cereal mix I would not be having this dilemma? :roll: :roll: Jane and Buns xx

Can you get supreme science in your area? The pellets are slightly softer and according to some bunnies taste better :)

How are their weights? If a bit of building up wouldn't go a miss then soke the pellets in some water until they're muchy then mix them with a bit of porridge (oats in warm water). It will look like revolting green sludge but taste good to bunnies.

The other thing is just to soak the pellets in water without without a little apple juice.

Tam

Yeah I'd say it's definitely worth trying Science selective, it is a different shape to excel as well so they may find it easier to eat, it also mushes down quite well with water/apple juice if they would take that?

If you can't get hold of any and want to try some, I'm happy to post you some if you pm me your address. It tends to be relatively freely available from pet shops/garden centres/some vets etc though.

This is really weird but I have a bun that after having is teeth out he wouldn't touch excell even if I added water to them to make them softer, so I tried him with some rabbit museli and he downed the lot, he won't eat pellets of any kind so I have had to keep him on the museli.

Thanks Guys!! I did try the SS but they both refused to go near it :roll: They are both quite 'well nourished'.....'portly' :oops: .....'podgey' :oops: buns :roll: :roll: but I dont want to be actively cutting out dried feed whilst they are poorly. Mind you the Vet I consulted said 'oh just leave out the hay/Excel if Veggies are easier for them to eat :shock: :roll: :roll: Sorry, but I aint removing hay from buns on antibiotics.....!! I will try soaking the Excel but I think now they have the taste of the 'junk food' it is going to be a battle of wills to get them to eat it. At least the hay eating is virtually non stop and they have had some gratted carrot/spring greens/grass salad. I suspect they are just trying to get their own way re the 'junk food' :roll: :roll: Jane and Buns xx

Umm, adding vitamins/probiotics (if you haven't already) would probably give you the same benefits pellets would. The benefit of pellets is you know they're getting a nice range of vitamins, other than that just hay's probably just as good for them... more so even :)

I guess if they're making you feel mean you could give them a tablespoon of the mix.

Removing the podge means less pressure on the heart/lungs so wouldn't hurt anyway :)

Tam

I'd be inclined to let them eat what they want if they are ill, knowing you Jane the hay and veggies will be the majority of the diet anyway so a tablespoon or two of mix won't hurt :) I tried to wean Pippa off the mix at various points in her life but never could 100%, in the end this was all she would eat. She was on it for 6 and a half years, I knowit's not brill but majority of her diet was hay + veggies so I didn't see the harm. For the last 6 months I had a mix of half pellets + half mix which she ate when she was well, perhaps you could do this?? Lots of snuggles to your poorly buns.
Nicola

nicolar said:
I'd be inclined to let them eat what they want if they are ill, knowing you Jane the hay and veggies will be the majority of the diet anyway so a tablespoon or two of mix won't hurt :) I tried to wean Pippa off the mix at various points in her life but never could 100%, in the end this was all she would eat. She was on it for 6 and a half years, I knowit's not brill but majority of her diet was hay + veggies so I didn't see the harm. For the last 6 months I had a mix of half pellets + half mix which she ate when she was well, perhaps you could do this?? Lots of snuggles to your poorly buns.
Nicola
Awww Thanks Nicola!! If Pippa approved of the 'diet' then I am sure it'll be OK for Bernie and Ned to have a wee bit of cereal mix. They obviously dont feel ill as such but they cough so dramatically they fall over :shock: :shock: Jane and Buns xx

:) Yes if good enough for Pippa then sure your two will love it!! Not the ideal diet or what the books say, but as we all know each rabbit is an individual!! Hopefully they will eat the pellets again once back up to full strength, unfortunately this mix diet seems to be rather too tasty!!

Ah bless them, expect they are feeling a little under the weather as falling over when you cough doesn't sound much fun! You can tell them I'm in the wars too as dog bit my thumb on Friday :( It's not serious and only 1 tooth went in but boy is it painful!!!

Nicola

Back