• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tobey not pooing and refusing any pellets after illness

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
On thursday night (i was away from home that night and didn't know about all this until the next morning), my mum said that tobey had been asleep in his catbed well into the evening, when normally he is up and about by about 5 o clock and apparently was just lying there and wouldn't do anything, so she quickly took him to the vet and they hospitalised him and kept him in overnight, apparently he hadn't eaten for up to 18 hours because his teeth had overgrown so much, although i check them every day, and he had been eating fine and normal the day before. When we got him back they said they had syringe fed him but he hadn't been eating on his own still, so when we got him home he seemed his usual self exploring the room but wouldn't eat anything except dandelions, so we got him some greens and he gobbled those up. He ate one of his soft poos which was a good sign, but he didn't do any round poos until later that day, and they were very small and not many of them.

Basically at the moment, he is all perky and his normal self, except that i've noticed he hasn't pooed at all since yesterday morning, and hasn't touched his science selective since he came home. Could he be constipated after his mishap? And also could it be anything to do with his pellet food? (as i say he has science selective) as he just will not eat this. He is still eating hay and everything. I'm just worried about the lack of pooing.

Thanks!

It's good he's still eating his hay, you only need to panic (well calmly call the vet) if he stops eating all together :)

You could try softening his pellets with a little water (with a splash of apple juice if you like) and offering them to him. His mouth might feel a bit funny or sore. Depending on your bun offering them to him one by one by hand might even do the trick. Does he usually have any fresh food? If so a little of his favourites may tempt him or fresh herbs like basil/parsley.

Tam

24 hours is a long time to go without pooing! Maybe he should go back to the vet? He might need another injection to get his tummy moving again. Even though he is eating, it might not be enough to "push" the poos through his system. Did the vets fix his teeth while he was there?

Rallybunny said:
Did the vets fix his teeth while he was there?

they did burr them while he was there yeah so they are fine now..

i just checked the poos that he HAS done since he came back from the vet on friday, and LOTS of them are all strung together with a large amount of fur, could he be a bit blocked inside and this is causing him not to poo? Is there anything i can give him from home to perhaps shift the full balls? I would have thought the amount of hay he eats would keep it flowing smoothly. Just wanted to know if I can give him any home remedy for the fur balls before I go back to the vet. He is eating now, as i've been feeding him extra veg instead of his dried food and obviously all the hay. He does normally have fresh veg a couple of times a week, he seems to prefer anything leafy, like dandelion leaves, spring greens etc.

apart from the lack of pooing, he seems his usual bright self running about and everything, but it is still worrying.. As far as I know he is urinating but i will have to double check. He has drunk some water over night, but usually when he has fresh veg he drinks less water.

thanks

just another quick thing i remembered as extra info, his molars are fine and never overgrow, its just his incisors that have malucussion (spelling?) and have to be regularly trimmed.

Maybe the fur built up because his digestive system slowed down while he was poorly? Sounds like things are getting back to normal now though. You can use a hairball laxative to help the fur pass through - most are made for cats, so make sure you choose one with no meat or fish ingredients. I think the most popular is Kittymalt. I use it every other day when I notice the stringy poos, else just once a week. I put a tiny blob on Evo's paw, and he licks it off.

thankyou for that :) i'll look out for it if the very stringy ones carry on into tomorrow. he's begun pooing a bit more this afternoon.. they are marginally less stringy, but are still quite dark, moist and soft but they are still round at least and not runny, not crumbly as usual though so hopefully they will gradually get back to normal as his digestive system goes back to normal. I also noticed him eat a few pellets, not many, but a few. I gave him a good old brush aswell to get rid of some of his moult, hopefully this will reduce the amount of fur he's taking in!

i'm wondering if it would be better for him in the long run to have his incisors out, but the vet said it is quite a brutal operation, but i've heard lots of people on here say their buns had to have the same operation, i'm not sure what's best really!

Back