• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castration-stiches

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
When i had claude neutered he pulled his stiches out while at the vets and ended up with an infection etc
just wondering if they can do internal stiches like they do with the girls?

When Milo was castrated they didn't use stitches but glued the wound back together. This was really good, as there was nothing there for him to pick at. Perhaps you could ask your vet to consider doing the same. I think I remember reading that some vets don't bother to close the wound at all and it heals perfectly well also.

Hi, I have just had my baby mini lops operated on. The male and female both had their wounds glued nine days ago and have had no problems at all with their wounds.Certainly seems a good idea. They have not been bothered with it at all so it seems. I have to take them back tomorrow for a check as the female one had a slight bump at the end of her wound that they wanted to see again, in case it was a small hernia. So keeping my fingers crossed. Pam

can they pull apart the glued bits? Dexter has took out his stitches and now been glued but he still won't leave his bits alone. I'm worried he's going to make a mess of himself :(

He seems to have calmed down a bit now, I have just had him on the sofa for a while. Thanks for the offer. If he keeps at it it will come in very handy. How long did Claude have to wear it?

Back