• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasteurella confirmed! advice on management of infection

gil

Mama Doe
Hi

the vet has just confirmed that Mischa has pasteurella. she is currently on antibiotics, marbocyl (she had been on baytril but it wasn't effective). her sneezing and discharge has cleared up but i'm assuming as with all antibiotics she will have to finish the course. someone mentioned to me on a previous thread to put a probiotic in the water but the vet didn't have any. any idea where i could get this from and is there a name for it?
my other concern is for the rest of my buns. mischa shares a hutch with Lola, will this mean that Lola will have this infection in her system? Lola has just been spayed, mischa couldn't get done at the same time due to her sneezing! my long term intention was to bond both of them with Moet and Chandon, who are outside and have them all outside together. obviously i am concerned in case Mischa's infection spreads to the others. Mischa and Lola have already been out in the garden, they get out frequenly for a run around and so have already been sniffing at Moet and Chandon thro' the wire!
anyone got any advice on what would be the best course of action now that Mischa has been confirmed with Pastuerella?
thanks!

If mischa and lola are already bonded then leave them together, as any infection is lkely to have already spread to lola and it is likely she is more resistant to it than mischa. Perhaps consider getting mischa spayed when she is well enough. I would advise against you bonding them with your other two, as there is a good chance the infection won't have spread to them. You can buy probiotics online at www.vetark.co.uk it is called avipro plus. You can either put it in their water or sprinkle a bit on their food. it doesn't matter if both of them eat it.

Pasteurella can take rabbits different ways- I know this sadly from experience. Your other rabbit may not have the full blown symptoms yet (P. Multicoda is a natural bacteria in the respiratory tract that only becomes contagious after symptoms are shown) and if she catches it it may kill her. My Carter has discharge Pasteurella and with Terramycin he has recovered to the stage where he only needs two or three injections every 6 or so months. My Smokey died after he got so ill that the vet refused to treat him any more. It is your choice. Bearing in mind that doing nothing is also a decision.

I would advise not handling your healthy rabbits after handling those two rabbits and if the symptoms clear up, don't make the mistake of thinking that she is not contagious any more, because she will be for the rest of her life.

hi,

thanks for the advice everyone. i will try and get the probiotic for them. i did think that i would have to keep them separate from the other two! i did read somewhere that the infection can travel short distances. how short? does anyone know? obviously i am going to be rethinking their housing arrangements so if i am going to keep Mischa and Lola outside i will need to decide whereabouts in the garden!
thanks Jane for that website but my pc isn't recognising the fonts or something so i am not getting all the info. (will try it from my pc at work)
thanks again!

If you can, keeping your snuffly bunny indoors would be a good idea, or at least in a shed to keep her out of the damp which can make chest and respitory problems worse. I have a snuffle bun in my bedroom, another in the kitchen and another in the shed. Their companions don't seem suceptible to it fortunately.

If you cant access the other link I posted hope this is of some use. Jane and Buns xx
Pasteurella multocida is a well known cause of morbidity and mortality in rabbits. The predominant syndrome is upper respiratory disease or "snuffles." P. multocida is often endemic in rabbit colonies and the acquisition of infection in young rabbits is correlated to the prevalence in adult rabbits (1). If young rabbits are removed early from infected adults, the chance of infection for the young decreases. Rabbit colonies free of P. multocida infection have been established by fostering cesarean-derived neonates onto P. multocida-free does or by treating does with antibiotics prior to kindling and up to weaning of kits. Transmission is mainly by direct contact with nasal secretions from infected rabbits and may be greatest when rhinitis induces sneezing and aerosolization of secretions (2). The bacteria can survive for days in moist secretions or water. P. multocida gains entry to the respiratory tract primarily through the nares, and once infection is established, may colonize also the paranasal sinuses, middle ears, lacrimal ducts, thoracic organs, and genitalia. Occasionally rabbits harbor chronic infections of internal tissues or organs, such as middle ears or lungs, without any signs of rhinitis and are negative for P. multocida by nasal culture (3).

Colonization and disease is influenced by factors related to both host and pathogen. Different strains of P. multocida have been isolated from rabbits. They are classified by capsular type and serotype; A:12 is the most common in rabbits in the U.S., but A:3 and other A and D serotypes exist. More severe disease has been associated with A:3 and D strains (4, 5). Bacterial capsular polysaccharides are important in inhibiting phagocytosis; lipopolysaccharides confer resistance to complement and bactericidal activity of serum. Pili (fimbria), which are filamentous appendages elaborated by bacteria, have receptors which may help P. multocida stick to and colonize mucous membranes (6). Toxin production is another factor which influences virulence; toxin produced by bacteria can cause disease by itself and in sites removed from where the bacteria reside. This has been shown with purified toxin from P. multocida (7). A syndrome of atrophic rhinitis or degeneration of the nasal turbinates has been associated with toxin-producing strains of P. multocida in rabbits . Both capsular types D and A have been shown to produce toxin (9, 10). Preexisting or simultaneous infections with other respiratory bacteria such as Bordetella bronchiseptica, may influence the ability of P. multocida to colonize and debilitate the tissues (3).

Ability of the rabbit to resist P. multocida infection depends, in part, on health of the exposed mucosa, and probably on rapid production of mucosal antibodies (IgA) which will inhibit growth of the bacteria. High levels of humoral antibodies (IgG) are not associated with elimination of infection but rather with chronic infection (3, 11). Thus measurement of P. multocida IgG antibodies in serum is helpful in detecting infections inaccessible to culture in the live rabbit. Attempts to induce immunity and protection using bacterins, potassium thiocyanate extracts (12) or attenuated live bacteria (13) have failed to prevent pasteurellosis over time. However, some unvaccinated, untreated rabbits exposed to P. multocida resist infection altogether and of those with infection a significant number resist disease. The factors which enable that resistance to occur are of great interest. Recent and ongoing studies involve determining whether immunity may be
induced using specific and highly purified fractions of P. multocida as antigens in vaccines (11, 14, 15, 16) and whether these antigens can be used diagnostically.

SUMMARY: 10 Practical Points about Pasteurella multocida in Rabbits 1. Not all rabbits carry P. multocida.
2. If removed from sources of infection early, a rabbit may never acquire P. multocida infection.
3. Not all rabbits with P. multocida get sick.
4. P. multocida is still the most common cause of respiratory disease, primarily rhinitis, in rabbits.
5. Some P. multocida strains are more virulent than others, but most clinical laboratories cannot differentiate strains.
6. Chronic infection and disease can occur in areas of the body inaccessible to culture.
7. Hidden infections sometimes may be detected by radiology, or serology.
(See Nov. 1992 Rabbit Health News regarding serologic testing.)
8. Some rabbits are able to resist or clear mild infection without treatment.
9. Rabbits with disease due to P. multocida infection should be treated with appropriate antibiotics.
10. Some rabbits with chronic infections or deep abscesses may not improve but be stabilized with antibiotics. Many owners are willing to use antibiotics on a long term basis.

thanks a lot for typing that in Jane, that's very useful! i'll print it off and study it.
mischa and lola are indoors just now anyway, they get out in the garden for a run around if i'm not working during the day. now i'm trying to keep them to the top end of the garden away from Moet and Chandon.

thanks again!

Back