• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Collecting a urine sample

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Ok I have to collect a urine sample from Delilha so we can do some tests on her kidney funtion and things. Hazel has given me these granuals that soak up wee, and all i have to do is put them in a litter tray and thats it. My only worry is that Samson is with Delilha and i don't want to put her on her own as she is relying on Samson for everything. How on earth am i going to get a sample!! I could just stand in the shed and watch her until she pees but thats a little difficult at the mo as she wont come out whilst im there. I can of course let Samson wee on them as well but that makes Hazels life more difficult when it comes to the tests. HELP???

You could try giving them a bowl full of water flavoured with a bit of apple juice then pop her in a cat carrier. Until she wee's. You can leave it inside their run so they can still chat. Then just pour the wee into a pot.

Tam

How about syringe-feeding her (if she'll let you) some water before the trip to the vet, and see if the vet can gently massage her bladder enough to get her to wee? That way it'll be very fresh and sterile? My vets done this with Mary - the next time I think he knew what was coming and just weed on the table himself :lol:

Thanks Guys, Tams thats a great idea! the granuals Hazel has given me will soak up her pee and then i can just take the granuals down! Right pet carrier it is this weekend.

I just waited for Treacle to pee on the carpet and syringed it up and took it in a bottle!!! :D

I had to get a sample from my cat a while ago. He always goes in the garden - refuses point blank to use a litter tray - so I had to sneak up behind him and pop a saucer in the way while he was mid-flow. He looked most unimpressed but once he'd started he couldn't stop, so I just had to pipette the wee into the sample pot :lol:

Last year when my last rabbit got sick, I wait for a few hr., predicting that he has to pee, then I take him to the litter tray (and no newspaper this time) and he done his peeing, and I just unload the urine in the sample cup. Very easy

He lives in door. I would recommend take your bunny indoor and give it a try.

Back