• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help

tomjacob

Banned
Jacob has caught a nail I think and is bleeding quite alot. Can i do anything? I will call the vet, it looks like the nail area, please help me know what to do.

If it is just the end of the nail scrap it along a bar of soap which will put a plug in it. if not try applying pressure to the area, you may need to put a bandage on to stem the bleeding. Nails always bleed alot so it prob looks worse than it is.

Oh thankyou. The vet thinks it's his nail cut to the quick. I was in the front room and I heard Jacob running so I came through and he looked frightened. i picked hi up and he was wet, must have fallen against water bowel but it's intact so not cut himself. I comforted him, sat down and realise I had blood all over my dressing gown, it is all over my neck too and my pajamas. I was terrified. His nail is all red and shorter than the others. My heart is beating so hard. He seems Ok though, why does this happen at night, I feel afraid to go to bed, he is Ok isn't he?

He'll be fine but it will be tender for a couple of days. Try to make sure he keeps it clean so it doesn't get infected, and if you're worried about it at all, let the vet have a quick looky.

Mojo did the same but he wasn't so lucky, he got his toe trapped inbetween floorboards when he was with his last owner, he lost his nail and dislocated his toe. The owner didn't notice til a couple of days later when he tried to chew his toe off :shock:

he will be fine. just try and keep him quiet, cause if his blood pressure is high then it will bleed more. the bleeding should just stop if not put a bandage on it. nails always bleed alot so it always looks worse then it actually is, I know it can be a bit of a fright when you see all the blood, but I am sure he will be fine :D

Thanks, do i clean with a bit of salt water? Do I do it now even though must be sore? he is a house bunny so easier to keep clean and dry. Sorry about this, I have bad anxiety and this has set me off a bit, sorry, it's really frightened me, alot of blood and I was terrified trying to find out wher it came from. The vet said go tomorrow if still bleeding but no need if he's Ok. Jacob is fine, I'm a wreck!

This happened twice to my Conny. The first time was actually on the way to the vet for his vacc., they put some silver (oxide, I think) on it which stopped the bleeding straight away and also sterilised it.

The second time was at night just like for you and I was also very worried, he was messing about under the bed (he snuck in while I wasn't watching) and broke it clean off, probably on my shoes. But it stopped after a few hours and he was fine.

Is it still bleeding? If so you can use the saline solution. But if it has stopped I would leave it alone.

To stop bleeding the most important thing is to stop him licking it, as each time he does he will remove the clot. If he is a relaxed bun and won't be stressed by being bandaged then this would be ideal, however, this won't suit a lot of buns, you'll know him best yourself.

Either way he is probably already quite stressed so try to keep him as calm as possible, if he enjoys being handled you could keep him on your lap, with the injured paw above his heart if he is comfortable and happy like this. This would help stop the bleeding and prevent him licking it.

You could also try a little cornflour on the wound as it would help slow down the bleeding while the clot forms.

If none of these work and it is still bleeding place him again so that the injured paw is above his heart and apply a little direct pressure over the wound with your thumb and forefinger, remember he is very small and so needs very little pressure, carefully check every minute or so to see if it is still bleeding, once it has stopped remove the pressure.

If it hasn't stopped yet, try not to worry, keep him calm, try any of the above you haven't tried yet if they won't stress him, and take him to the vet for peace of mind tomorrow.

I hope you are both feeling better this morning. I understand exactly how you must have felt - I'm fine with blood if it's my own, but if it belong to one of my animals I really panic :shock: :shock: :oops: :shock:

Hi, pleased to report that Jacob is fine now. this morning his foot was spoltless, I almost thought i had imagined last night! He is well in spirit too, running aroun as usual. It did frighten me, alot of blood for a little bunny. i have been meaning to get a first aid kit together and have re read the info on here. I don't think I'm good enough to do complex things but as nails are susceptible to this problem I will get some stuff to stop the bleeding and some little bandges too. Thanks for the advice. Jacob is due at the vets on Monday anyway so will get them to check it is healing OK and trim the others again in case being a bit long caused it. God forbid this happens again, at least i have better knowlege now and nicer to be prepared than try and find out what to do when covered in blood. I have never had so much blood on me, I thought he was going to bleed to death, nails really bleed, I was amazed! By telling me this, it did calm me, so thanks for the advice last night.

Back