• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit ER!

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Had an emergency earlier!
Claude jumped out of o/h arms i picked him up as i thought he had bumped his nose,but no his hock was bleeding and blood was going everywhere!,we banaged his foot because even though i applyed pressure it wouldnt stop!
but within 5 mins it was off,im at my wits end as to what to do,his poor feet look so sore :(

Oh flip - poor Claude and poor you :shock: Minnie-Moo had a bleeding hock the other day and we just had to let it settle on it's own - but in the end I panicked and put some powder on to help it. Is it still bleeding now?

Jaypot said:
Oh flip - poor Claude and poor you :shock: Minnie-Moo had a bleeding hock the other day and we just had to let it settle on it's own - but in the end I panicked and put some powder on to help it. Is it still bleeding now?
No it finally stopped but its a regular thing now,always the same foot,its not actually his hock its further down, his back feet are near enough bald :(

I know this sounds daft but would he wear socks for a while? I know that they can get used to having them on - even for a few hours.
The only other thing I can think of is using the Prepartation H - it works with Minnie-Moo but I don't keep applying it after a few days - I let it work for a couple of days and then leave it until the next time her hocks get sore.
This is such a problem with the rexes :( I sometimes think that poor Minnie-Moo must be in such pain - yet she seems so happy bless her :D

We stick socks on her now and again - she is mostly in the prone position so doesn't really mind :lol: :lol: :lol: They come off after a couple of hours though :?
Just the Preparation H when they look really sore. It's the only thing we've found that works - it's such a pain isn't it? Poor babies :?
What about the sticky bandage that the vets use? Have never tried that on Minnie-Moo but it may work.

Jaypot said:
We stick socks on her now and again - she is mostly in the prone position so doesn't really mind :lol: :lol: :lol: They come off after a couple of hours though :?
Just the Preparation H when they look really sore. It's the only thing we've found that works - it's such a pain isn't it? Poor babies :?
What about the sticky bandage that the vets use? Have never tried that on Minnie-Moo but it may work.
We put the sticky bandage on him,the one he pulled off :lol:
Whats preparation H isnt that pile cream? :oops:

bluebunny said:
No dont think he would :?
he was going mad with the bandage on! what do you use on her?
The preperation H is....ermmmm....haemorrhoid cream!! :oops: :oops: It works a treat for sore hocks :D . Tesco own brand haemorrhoid cream is just as good and a bit cheaper!! :D Jane and Buns xx

JCO said:
bluebunny said:
The preperation H is....ermmmm....haemorrhoid cream!! :oops: :oops: It works a treat for sore hocks :D . Tesco own brand haemorrhoid cream is just as good and a bit cheaper!! :D Jane and Buns xx
OMG thought it was,ok i will send my mum for that! :oops: :lol:

bluebunny said:
JCO said:
bluebunny said:
For some strange reason I got a really odd look from the sales assistant in Boots when I asked for some Haemorrhoid Cream for my Rabbits sore hocks...... :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

JCO said:
bluebunny said:
JCO said:
bluebunny said:
For some strange reason I got a really odd look from the sales assistant in Boots when I asked for some Haemorrhoid Cream for my Rabbits sore hocks...... :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx
Yes i could say that ,but they prob wouldnt belive me! :lol:
is it ok if they lick it off?

bluebunny said:
JCO said:
bluebunny said:
JCO said:
bluebunny said:
Yes i could say that ,but they prob wouldnt belive me! :lol:
is it ok if they lick it off?
You only need to put a small amount on and rub it gently in. So there wont be much to lick off. As it has a local anaesthetic effect Buns tend not to bother about it at all. At least the ones I have used it on dont seem to. Jane and Buns xx

Back