• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cuddling

ladystardust

Alpha Buck
I mean how often are you hugging or playing with your rabbits per day on average? I hug mine at least once a day, just worried what my mum says is true "that I don't cuddle them enough!" But my mum is good at undermining my confidence. I know rabbits need a degree of independence and personal play amongst themselves.

I have 2 rabbits of opposite sexes neutered btw :oops:

Zoe

Hi Zoe :D . Firstly the fact you are posting on here shows that you are a caring Bunny Mummy :D !! Some Buns dont really like being picked up and cuddled as such. Some prefer a gentle nose rub whilst they still have all four feet on terra firma!! :D :D The fact that you have a bonded pair of buns means that they will get lots of interaction with each other. With some of my bonded pairs I know I am really an 'outsider'. They both accept a nose rub from me but they love each other more... :roll: :roll: It sounds as though you are doing fine with your two. Sometimes it is nice to just sit and watch them interact with each other. You can also offer them some veggie treats whilst you sit with them. With bunnies food is a great way to make friends :roll: :roll: :lol: Bunnies ALL being 'cuddly' is something of a myth!! Jane and Buns xx

Harvey is a Hug on demand bun, so it could be several times or just once!!!

hes hopping around our feeet all eve and will nudge when he wants attention. if we go to give him attention when he doesnt want it he will just run off!! :lol: well i guess fair enough!!

Skip is now Mr Clingy Bunny of the year !! :lol:

Everytime i sit on the sofa he jumps up and sits on ''bump'' while i stroke him and he will sit still for ages just so long as the strokes continue :lol: :lol:

''Bump'' loves him already and proceeds to kick him in the head everytime he jumps up :shock: :lol:

Skip's an only bunny so is very close to me and John (my OH) it's gonna be soooooo cute when 'bump' and Skip can play together :D

JCO said:
Hi Zoe :DSometimes it is nice to just sit and watch them interact with each other. You can also offer them some veggie treats whilst you sit with them. With bunnies food is a great way to make friends :roll: :roll: :lol: Bunnies ALL being 'cuddly' is something of a myth!! Jane and Buns xx

That's given me an idea, I've also got an open run without a top so I can sit in there and let them explore. It's quite big about 6ft by 6ft. I don't use it when they're alone though.

Rubbing their noses? I'm not sure, little nervous :oops:

Thank you Jane!!

ladystardust said:
JCO said:
Hi Zoe :DSometimes it is nice to just sit and watch them interact with each other. You can also offer them some veggie treats whilst you sit with them. With bunnies food is a great way to make friends :roll: :roll: :lol: Bunnies ALL being 'cuddly' is something of a myth!! Jane and Buns xx

That's given me an idea, I've also got an open run without a top so I can sit in there and let them explore. It's quite big about 6ft by 6ft. I don't use it when they're alone though.

Rubbing their noses? I'm not sure, little nervous :oops:

Thank you Jane!!
Try just sitting with them and offering then some veggie treats. Allow them to come up to you. Bunnies are Sooooo nosey :roll: :roll: so they are bound to want to check you out :D . Gradually they will learn to trust you and eventually you will be able to stroke their noses.It may take a long time but with patience you'll get there!! Jane and Buns xx

I sometimes manage one cuddle a day but that's in a good week.
Bella is very cuddly once you manage to get hold of her but both buns are far too quick for me to pick up easily.
They get plenty of nose rubs and stroking though, it's just like Jane said they like to keep their feet on the ground.

I sit in front of Tia's hutch (knees touching it) on a chair - if she wants cuddles she climbs on to my knee and climbs back in when she's had enugh :)

We don't really get cuddles off of our too as such, they will both nudge us if they want our attention and we will usually give each one a good bunny massage everydat (they love to have their noses, behind their ears and all down their backs rubbed, Fern even enjoys a good ear pull! :shock: )

They will both hop up onto the sofa to see what we are doing, and say hello, but they don't like to be held so we don't force it. They love each other so much sometimes we feel like we are intruding! :D

One thing that happened last week tat was really funny was whilst my husband and I were on the sofa having a cuddle, Fern jumped up and got in between us, she is a real daddy's girl! :lol:

well i spend between 2-4 hours a day with the buns with them running around. Alfie always come's over to me for a stroke and kisses (he is soo soppy), Holly is always too busy exploring!

Buns live in my room so I'm in here with them pretty much whenever I'm not working or sleeping (or out, but that's not too frequently, I prefer the company of my animals :lol: )
I agree with Jane, a lot of buns prefer to be firmly on the ground. Mary is my snugglebun and we often go and watch TV together and he'll just lay on my belly and face the TV! He particularly liked Desperate Housewives Wednesday, though he had a few accidents on me :lol: But as he's been poorly I let him off the hook :roll:
I've got quite a few pets, and I know that elsewhere my animals could get more handling than I have time to give them. However, many of them would be dead/pts without me - Rex, Squishy, Joey and my rat Wonky to name just a few! And although I could have rehomed them, many have special needs (usually the reason they were going to be pts - Wonky is extremely vicious and has a headtilt, is intolerant to certain foods and doesn't like other rats, Rex and Squishy had malloclusion of the incisors and Squishy has bad molars) and the only foolproof way I can guarantee they'll be catered to is to keep them myself! So whilst they may not get loads of handling, they have large cages (soon to be even larger), a huge run to go out in, company (when they want it!). the best food I can give and vet care (and my wages!) on tap.
I think the handling aspect can be overrated - yes, I don't have time to handle every animal of mine for hours every day, but a lot of them don't WANT it - they'll tolerate a 5 minute cuddle then want to be running around. They don't get ignored, and they get healthchecks and everything else and that's more important to me than forcing unwanted cuddles on them just because it's what is supposed to be 'right'. You know your bun's needs and wants far more than anyone else.

Back