• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oldest age to neuter?

Veronica

Mama Doe
Hiya,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are...

I have a 3, possible 4 year old (I'm thinking more nearer to 4, but will check his leg ring) french lop buck.
In a french lop, this is quite a good age....so would it be considered too risky to have him neutered?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hiya. The oldest male Bun I have had neutered is French Lop-X who was 7 at the time.Are you wanting to neuter him to bond him with another rabbit or is it to try to correct behavioural issues such as aggression??If the latter then although neutering can reduce aggression it is NOT always that effective when the bun is older and has developed 'learned behaviour' which may not necessarily be hormone driven. If you want to bond your Bun I would say that if your Vet checks your Buns heart/lungs and runs a blood test to check renal/liver function and all is OK you could get him neutered. You could ask your Vet to check Buns teeth at the same time!! Jane and Buns xx

Hiya Jane,
Thanks for the reply. :)
I was thinking of bonding him :) No behavioural issues with him at all...he's a soppy little guy :p :)

I have posted a couple before yeah :) I'll get some more of him actually...I always forget to take pics of him (I know that sounds bad! :lol:), but that's because he spends his days sitting in amongst the bushes and shrubs in the garden! :lol: :lol: :lol: :)

There's some pics of him on my site under 'Alfie'. (Website desperately needs updating, so I apologise! :oops: )

I did think of that too, but when he's around a girly..or boy for that matter :shock: ....he gets alittle 'excited' :oops: :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The vets saw no problem with spaying my doe at that age, and that's a riskier op than castration. As long as he's in good health, there is no reason why he shouldn't be fine at that age.

What is a leg ring?

My vet told me if a male hasn't been neuter for that long, could increase his chance of getting cancer due to the non-usage of his penis. I forgot which cancer it is.

Alfie came to me from Kent, as an ex stud buck.

A leg ring, is a BRC ring, placed on the rabbit at a young age...it's on the ankle...and is a form of ID.

I've owned Alfie since he was 8 months old :)

Back