• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sugarbeet

I don't think its a good idea to feed sugarbeet to rabbits. It is normally fed to horses, after having been soaked for a least 24 hours. If not soaked properly, it will swell inside a horse's tum, causing colic, which can be fatal. I imagine it would have similar effects on a bun, as their digestive systems are quite similar.

I wouldn't feed it to my buns, way too much...errr...sugar to be good for them, it will cause wild swings in blood sugar.

anna said:
I don't think its a good idea to feed sugarbeet to rabbits. It is normally fed to horses, after having been soaked for a least 24 hours. If not soaked properly, it will swell inside a horse's tum, causing colic, which can be fatal. I imagine it would have similar effects on a bun, as their digestive systems are quite similar.

I saw this once. A horse broke in to the feed room & ate half a bag of dried sugar beet. He was seriously ill, coughing up dry nuts & not eating for a week. The Vet said he wasn't to drink for 4-5 days as it would cause the sugar beet to swell even more & would kill him. Happily, Mazzy is fine & a healthy (fat) 21 year old!

My horse, Danny, has sugar beet in winter, as it keeps their weight on, so they don't lose condition.

Can you feed rabbits bran? I've got like, 20 bags (there was a sale on!!!) & my horse isn't getting through it at all!!

Back