• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe-feeding alternatives

Karly

Banned
Mary's looking much better after his dental.
However, he's still not 100% eating his pellets and has gone off veg (though he doesn't get his normal favourites anymore)
I've been syringe-feeding him pellets, but wanted to know if there was an alternative I could feed him to keep his gut going but not in pellet form. For a start, I'm worried that it won't be good for his suspected kidney damage, and also he's left lots of caecal poos overnight and today, so is eating too many pellets.
He can't have Science Recovery food or anything else high in protein/alfalfa/calcium because of his kidneys, but wasn't sure what else he could have. I was going to mush up some veg for him but we seem to have lost the blending attachment to the handblender.
Would something like his porridge/weetabix made soggy be better for him? Because of his dental problems I don't want to stop him eating hay but then I also don't want to stop syringe-feeding incase he goes into stasis (as he's had a poor appetite lately)

WWETABIX , TINNED PEAS MASHED WITH A FORK,GET SOME REARLY LOW PROTINE FOOD AND MASH IT, IF YOU PUT BOILING WATER ON IT AND LET IT SOAK TILL COOL YOU CAN SYRINGE THAT. HES PASSING THATS THE MAIN THING. VAL

You can get veggie baby food if you can't make your own :) Also no reason why you can't cut hay in to 1cm long pieces and sturr that in with it.... obviously that won't go through a syring but if it's tasty he might pick it up himself.

Tam

Also apple/carrot can be grated usuing a normal grater on the side with really tiny holes. You effectively end up with mush but there is a little more elbow greece involved :)

Tam

He's had grated carrot (fussy sod wouldn't eat it if it wasn't grated when he was younger!) but I've been told to avoid carrot because of his kidneys. Though I suppose I can give it a go with any of the solid-ish veg/fruit that he is allowed and see if he'll take that.
He's actually had a little nibble on some veg and is eating some more solid pellets and chopped hay, his poos are on the increase (in amount and size) so he's doing well. His wee has changed too - it's very yellow/orange, whereas it was quite pale before.
Feel like I've developed a new hobby of analysis bunny waste :lol:

The soft heads of broccoli every once in a while is good for them, as is a bit of banana.

Tesco's do a cheap hand held blender for £5, which I bought for my rabbits. Its cracking for making all types of rabbit soup. Although I do recommend only using small pieces of finely chopped grass when blending stuff together.

to save time, you can always rely on Heinz baby food, make sure you pick the ones w/ no meat inside. They have lots of fruit and veggie favors.

Back