• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nipping?

Mizzmarni

Young Bun
My new little bunny nips me.. not enough to hurt me but i think he does it to move me out the way or something, he also does it when i put my hand under his chin which i know rabbit's dont like..

Why does he do this and how do i make him stop..

Any ideas would be greatly received..

Thanks
Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

OK this is going to sound really obvious, but...firstly don't put your hand under his chin - by doing this, you are demanding to be groomed and he obviously does not see you worthy of bestowing this honour upon you :lol: (don't worry a couple of mine would probably do the same). As for the other times, yes he probably is doing it to get you out of the way, Heather does that to me occasionally, and again I think the longer you have your bunny and the more he settles, the more aware you will get of when he is likely to nip and can move out the way - also you will be more aware of what he wants (e.g. why does he want you to move?) and can work with him in those things to avoid the circumstance arising.

Dexter has nipped me a few times, I think it is hormone related and should stop after he has been neutered. Hobbes used to nip my ankles before he was neutered but never did it after the op.
When Dexter bites I do a high pitched squeal so he knows it hurts and if he does it twice he goes straight back into his cage for some time out! :lol:

Back