• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

JANE!!!!!! Question re metacam!

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Hello dear! Hazel is giving me some Metacam for jack as although his nose wasn't abcessed this time it is very much more painful than it was. When they packed it last time they didn't need to fully nock him out to do it as it wasn't sore but Hazel had to really nock him out this time just so they could have a look. She has said just one drop a day do i just give it orally or is it best hidden on something????

Thank you XX

'ello mate! :D I give Jack his from a 1ml syringe and then give him his daily portion of Porridge Oats. With dogs/cats it is more important to give the Metacam with food due to the risk of GI irritation/ulceration. But as buns should always have food in their tums it is not such an issue. I just keep a close eye on any Bun on oral NSAIDs to make sure their appetite is not decreasing. Haven't had any probs yet!! And Jack appears to like the taste of Metacam too :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: Hope your poor Jacks nose gets better soon. Jane and Buns xx

Ooooh Jane, while we're on the subject, Leonard has temgesic as pain relief with his current problem - did you say that this is because Metacam would irritate......well, what did you say, I can't remember!!!!! :lol:

Oooooo Temgesic!! Lennie will be as high as a kite :shock: :lol: :lol: Metacam is a Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drug. One of the POTENTIAL side effects is GI irritation/ulceration. NSAIDS are also contraindicated if there is any question of renal impairment. Temgesic is an opiate based drug. It is a strong pain killer but only has a duration of about 8 hrs so more than one dose in a 24 hr period is normally needed. Possible side effects are sedation and slowed GI motility. IN HOOMANS RISK OF addiction is also an issue. Hope Lennie is doing ok and those poops are still being produced in their hundreds. Please give him a snuggle from me. Jane and Buns xx

OOooh thanks Jane! I wondered why he was on the ceiling when I got home!!! :lol: He does seem to have done quite a few more poos, which I found when I rooted around under the barley straw, which I am pleased to say he was chomping away at when I got home. :D He's on metaclopromide AND liquid paraffin but he has to go for a check-up tomorrow afternoon so we'll see what they decide then. :D :wink:

Back