• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A Few Spaying Questions...

greydaze

Warren Scout
Well, I called a new vet and sceduled a visit for the middle of next month. *IF* the petshop was right, that would make her 4.5 months, but I think she may be older than they said. She's only 3.5, and she's been exhibiting adolescent behaviors for the past 2-3 weeks.

So, at any rate, the vet said not to give her pellets the night before and to limit her hay intake. Is this normal? Everything else is by the book; They're going to do those sutchures (spelling) that close on the inside, they give painkillers afterwards, etc.

I just want to make sure she'll be ok as long as she has hay in her belly, even if she doesn't get pellets. I love my bun, and I just want her to be well.

If a vet tells you to starve a rabbit before an operation, they are WRONG!!! If it was the vet receptionist that told you she may just be spouting what they say to all owners - but never starve a rabbit and also take its regular food in, so that she can start eating again as soon as she's conscious.

Ack, if the vet themselves had said that to me about food intake, I'd be very, very, VERY wary of letting them operate on my rabbit. Rabbits' guts can slow down and stop which can be fatal quickly if they aren't allowed to eat and graze as normal, as and when.

If your bun is any older than the petshop said, it's probably only by a week or maybe two. I think 3 months ish is a normal age for rabbits to exhibit "teenager" tendencies. Some of the more knowledgable folk around here will tell you for sure.

My female Gypsy was 5 months when she displayed teenage behaviour, 3 months is a bit young for a female to show hormonal behaviour, unless there are exceptions.

I have to agree with what has already been said. Daisy is booked in for her spay on her 6month birthday and the vet gave me specific instructions to NOT STOP feeding her under any circumstances. Everything should remain as normal, water intake, food intake etc Also, the vet said she wouldnt do the spay on Daisy untill she was atleast 6months old else their bodies cant handle the operation as they havent grown enough.

I would ask to speak to the vet in person - she should have a pre-op
check on her heart and lung function anyway - all my animals do - Then
you can find out for sure if they are rabbit savy or more of a cat and dog vet.

Elve: Well, when I took Skittles in last month for a minor infection, they checked the heart and lung functions and everything was normal. And this vet's office has two full-time dog/cat/goat vets with one full-time small animal vet.

I would have to agree, our vet was the same and told us not to change anythng about sophies eating habits before the spay.

Back