• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castration?

anon101

Banned
Hello Folks,

Howard my Nethie boy is booked in for a castration on the 30th Jan along with Duke Adele’s boy.

Duke’s bits have dropped fine but Howard only has one testicle dropped at the moment.

Is this normal and when can I expect the other one to drop? I presume they cant do the operation if both testicles have not dropped?

Howard is five months old at the end of the month.

Louise

Sometimes they pull it in when you check...But otherwise they can do an internal op, like a spay and go through the abdomen to get it - It's more serious obviously, but it's important they remove them both or he'll still be fertile, and may get cancer later in the undescended testicle.

I would wait a couple more months till they drop naturally, and if not by then, you'll have no choice but go for the more invasive op. He's only young - I expect they will both appear soon :)

when taz was examined before his op the vet said one was mobile, it came up and down, but that he would be able to operate no probs, he said that sometimes it looks like they havent dropped but it is just this mobile testicle. ( I know this is true cos it happens with babies too :) )

So I would take him to be checked over rather than cancel...it may be ok

It is a more serious op if they haven't dropped; I would wait. It shouldn't be long, it may even happen before the 30th. If it still isn't there a few days before I would push the date back.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Hopefully his other testicle will of dropped by the 30th but if not I will still take him but discuss with the Vet beforehand our options. I would rather it dropped naturally then him have any more surgery then necessary, as he is a tiny little thing!

Louise

I want my male castrated as I want him to continue living with the mother, my vet said I have to wait until he is six months old but I thought it could be done at 4-5 months old.

he is four months old and very healthy, although he is very randy and I can't separate him from his mother as the reason I kept him was for her to have company as she no longer gets on with her former bonded daughter.

apparently it takes six weeks for sperm to stop coing through and the last thing I want is his mum pregnant if I wait till 6 months.

Eeeeeeks!! :shock: If boy-buns bits are down now and he is still with his UNSPAYED Mum you could end up with a litter of Babies!! The lads can be fertile from about 4 months of age. Jane and Buns xx

not only that, but if you need to wait 2 months nearly (6 weeks is nearly 2 months!) for sperm to go down, you would have a fertile male with an unspayed female for the next 4 months - recipie for disaster! :shock:

split them now in my opinion, but keep them living alongside each other so they stay familiar - And get mum spayed ASAP incase she's already pregnant - If you had got her and her daughter spayed together at the same time, they would probably not have fallen out with each other - might be worth getting all 3 of them neutered on your credit card, and trying to slowly get them bonded again as a group?

my main worry though would be is mum preggers? :shock:

when both my boys got done we noticed that only one of baileys had dropped . we waited a while and it still wasn,t there . The vet operated and found the other testicle somewhere near is tummy :shock: . Bailey had a scar right down his abdomen but although it was a serious op , he was no worse for it :shock: , the vet explained to me that when male bunnies develop the testicles have to push through the scrotal ring before they drop and if it doesn,t push through then it ends up staying internal . The risk with this is that it can then turn cancerous (according to my vet) so i,m so glad I got the op done . If I had known before I put bailey in to be done how serious it was I would have been an utter wreck . Thankfully tho , he was fine . I thought he only had one plum :roll:

I "think" quinns second one has dropped but im not sure the vet said it had the other day but she had to feel a bit more for it - hes booked in for next thursday so we will see

pugsley said:
so is 4 months old enough for some vets
There is no reason why a HEALTHY 4 month old Buck with descended 'bits' cannot be castrated. The only exception might be if the bunny is VERY small ie weighs less than 1kg. Jane and Buns xx

I took in a hare that only had one testical down, i though he may have had to be cut open to get at it but it turned out that the cord that the testical was attached to wasent long enough :shock: . If it was pulled it did come down but when let go it wend back up :lol: . Anyway it turned out he was done as mormal thank got :D .As for the other point i have all my males done directly there testicals drop theres no reason not to. As for after ive allways paired up castrated males with females after 3weeks, never had one get pregnant. val

My two boys, Juley and George have just gone 4 months old, and they are booked in to be castrated on Tuesday.

Both boys seem to have their bits where they should be....but not for long :shock: :D

Back